Author Topic: 'Self-checkout is doomed’: Major supermarkets to scrap technology in huge overhaul  (Read 5844 times)

Offline LMAO

I LOVE that "Scan & Go" option at Sam's.  Although you do NOT want to go on a Sunday, because the line where they check your receipt and a couple of items in your cart at the door is nuts.

As far as WalMart, I quit participating in the "stop at the door" routine a long time ago.  Anytime someone says, "Can I see your receipt?" I just keep walking, pretend I thought they said 'have a nice day', and say "Thanks, you too!"

When the alarm went off on me, it was fairly loud. And of course you become the center of attention.

They did come and look at my receipt and found that I scanned nine versus 10. I just went back in the line and scanned the other one.

In hindsight, what I should have done was say I identify as black and it was my reparations for slavery
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Not sure, but it was my understanding they only tag electronics and other big ticket items. i might be wrong, but that's what I heard.
More stealable items get tagged, too. Razor Blades were tagged until they put them in the cosmetics corral, where you have to pay for them before you leave that area.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

And retailers wonder why people abandon brick-and-mortar stores for online shopping.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Your reply is typical

Whenever I see a post from a MAGA or a progressive, when it comes to economics, I think about that scene in “Other People’s Money” when Danny DeVito and Gregory Peck are making appeals to shareholders. Peck argues from an emotional level. Danny DeVito, although his points sound harsh, are purely economical

People start businesses and companies, so that they can be independent and hope to make money. It’s the same reasoning that people buy stock and the company. They want to make money. They don’t do it to create jobs. That happens as the company grows and they determine that the need is great enough to hire people

The economic ignorance of both MAGA and leftist is almost criminal. The idea that companies owe people job simply because they’re making a profit is Bernie Sanders mindset

@LMAO

Yeah,causen hit all bees about me,me,"ME,DAMMIT!" in  your alleged mind because you are selfish to the point where you  don't give a damn if American citizens who,for whatever reason,need a menial job that pays enough to help them avoid welfare or they and their children becoming  homeless.

Me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me,hits all about ME,DAMMIT!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
More stealable items get tagged, too. Razor Blades were tagged until they put them in the cosmetics corral, where you have to pay for them before you leave that area.
Out where I am certain items that are locked up at Wally's, like nasal spray and other smalls that a normal person wouldn't think of stealing require you to summon an attendant to take it out. What sucks is they won't let you just take it from them, they take it up to the front and leave it with the register attendant who you then have to wait for to retrieve it when you check out. It has gotten so ridiculous at Walmart that I rarely go there anymore, I'll pay more at Ralphs/Kroger just to avoid the feeling of being considered untrustworthy **nononono*

Offline libertybele

Out where I am certain items that are locked up at Wally's, like nasal spray and other smalls that a normal person wouldn't think of stealing require you to summon an attendant to take it out. What sucks is they won't let you just take it from them, they take it up to the front and leave it with the register attendant who you then have to wait for to retrieve it when you check out. It has gotten so ridiculous at Walmart that I rarely go there anymore, I'll pay more at Ralphs/Kroger just to avoid the feeling of being considered untrustworthy **nononono*

I get some canned goods and some other groceries at the Walmart neighborhood market and I haven't encountered anything like that.  I haven't shopped at a super Walmart in quite some time.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

@LMAO

Yeah,causen hit all bees about me,me,"ME,DAMMIT!" in  your alleged mind because you are selfish to the point where you  don't give a damn if American citizens who,for whatever reason,need a menial job that pays enough to help them avoid welfare or they and their children becoming  homeless.

You're bent @sneakypete ... That didn't even make sense.  **nononono*

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I get some canned goods and some other groceries at the Walmart neighborhood market and I haven't encountered anything like that.  I haven't shopped at a super Walmart in quite some time.

I haven't set foot in a Walmart or Kroger since I started doing curbside pickup, about 6 months before the fake Plague.  I can do it all in about 1/4 the time it takes to walk the aisles.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You're bent @sneakypete ... That didn't even make sense.  **nononono*

I thought it was just me, and I really like @sneakypete.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline berdie

@LMAO

Well, actually, in this case it would be about me. If I take the leap to start a business, invest my capital and time, take my risk and put up with all the regs...  If I can provide jobs that's wonderful. If I can do it cheaper to increase profit that's wonderful as well.

Online roamer_1

I thought it was just me, and I really like @sneakypete.

yeah, me too.

Offline libertybele

I haven't set foot in a Walmart or Kroger since I started doing curbside pickup, about 6 months before the fake Plague.  I can do it all in about 1/4 the time it takes to walk the aisles.

I tried curbside and it didn't work out -- the person shopping kept sending me texts to see if substitute items were acceptable.  I finally gave up. I'm glad you had better luck.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I tried curbside and it didn't work out -- the person shopping kept sending me texts to see if substitute items were acceptable.  I finally gave up. I'm glad you had better luck.

Walmart and Instacart (Kroger) have a button where I can choose "No Substitutions" for the entire order.  If they don't have the brand or style I want, I don't want a substitution.  The store almost always has what I want.
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

Walmart and Instacart (Kroger) have a button where I can choose "No Substitutions" for the entire order.  If they don't have the brand or style I want, I don't want a substitution.  The store almost always has what I want.

Since I have become decrepit, I have some real experience with instacart... Generally good, if you tip well so you get a great fetcher... but even with that, less than stellar, almost always, when it comes to produce. But, over all, I have had pretty good service, if you ignore the markup. But if you can find a private deal, and avoid the markup, you'll do better.

And I truly miss a sassy teller...

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Since I have become decrepit, I have some real experience with instacart... Generally good, if you tip well so you get a great fetcher... but even with that, less than stellar, almost always, when it comes to produce. But, over all, I have had pretty good service, if you ignore the markup. But if you can find a private deal, and avoid the markup, you'll do better.

And I truly miss a sassy teller...

Me too!  The sassyer, the better.  And I always tip the driver, over and above the auto-tipping on Instacart.
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

Me too!  The sassyer, the better.  And I always tip the driver, over and above the auto-tipping on Instacart.

You'd do better to tip em in the app... The way it works, the five-stars get first choice of jobs, so they are going to pick the good payers.

I do big hauls... 300-500 bucks, and will tip a fifty... It takes em an hour start to finish, so they are making bank. And it costs me a helluva lot less than ordering 100-150 and tipping a twenty... win-win. And because it is a banging deal for them, I always get picked by the top tier people.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You'd do better to tip em in the app... The way it works, the five-stars get first choice of jobs, so they are going to pick the good payers.

I do big hauls... 300-500 bucks, and will tip a fifty... It takes em an hour start to finish, so they are making bank. And it costs me a helluva lot less than ordering 100-150 and tipping a twenty... win-win. And because it is a banging deal for them, I always get picked by the top tier people.

I don't tip extra online because I don't want to impact their taxes....
I will NOT comply.

Offline LMAO

@LMAO

I'm not selfish

I just don't believe generosity is defined as being generous with someone else's money, the risks they themselves take, and livelihood

Your post is something I would expect to find in an AOC or Elizabeth Warren type forum
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 04:31:47 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline LMAO

Well, actually, in this case it would be about me. If I take the leap to start a business, invest my capital and time, take my risk and put up with all the regs...  If I can provide jobs that's wonderful. If I can do it cheaper to increase profit that's wonderful as well.

:hands:

Barry Goldwater

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Bookmark
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!

We did curbside during the pandemic, and found that ordering produce was always a losing effort.  Well that and having to go through the hassle of contacting them on things they forgot to load.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
I started curbside during the pandemic as well.  Produce was mostly horrible and the meat was awful.  This was Super Walmart.  I did have them a few times throw in some meat that I didn't order.  The first time it happened I took it back to Walmart and they kind of acted like they didn't want it back, so from then on I just gave it to the neighbors.

Wow, you actually got freebies. I was usually shorted, and had to got through the hassle of get my card creditied.   And like you said about the produce?  One time the lettuce was half brown. and soft as a goo in the middle.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Polly Ticks

Wow, you actually got freebies. I was usually shorted, and had to got through the hassle of get my card creditied.   And like you said about the produce?  One time the lettuce was half brown. and soft as a goo in the middle.

It's mostly kids doing the picking.  They have no idea how to choose good produce, and if they do, they just don't care. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I have not had these issues!  I think they have adult shoppers.  Instacart delivers and they are good too.
I will NOT comply.

Online Polly Ticks

I have not had these issues!  I think they have adult shoppers.  Instacart delivers and they are good too.

I meant in my local area ... sorry!

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra