Author Topic: Heads Up on Artic Blast Early Next Week  (Read 5850 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Heads Up on Artic Blast Early Next Week
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2024, 07:55:05 pm »
I didn't know that (the specific temperatures). So I assume that a buried propane tank pretty much works anywhere where there is civilization.

Yes. Here, anyway. Though there are plenty here that ain't buried. The hillbillies bury en.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2024, 09:55:55 pm »
Might want to add a scarf.  :laugh:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2024, 10:08:14 pm »
Might want to add a scarf.  :laugh:

He scarfed down that beer well enough.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2024, 10:57:13 pm »
He scarfed down that beer well enough.

That he did.   :laugh:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2024, 10:58:01 pm »
its ccoooooooollllld outside
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2024, 10:59:05 pm »
LOL - going to an event during a blizzard to scream the planet is on fire is peak idiot.(Video)

https://twitter.com/catturd2/status/1746266356935237782

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2024, 11:42:27 pm »
Had a good friend whose sister and her children were dragged by her husband to Ohio just in time for the worst winter in a very long time, as a matter of fact I think they called the blizzard of 1978 the storm of the century. Anyway it also blew up their marriage, you just don't take a SoCal girl into a situation like that and expect her to adapt.

That brought back memories of a sort.  I was young enough during the '78 blizzard to think it all just great fun and a wonderful LOOOOOOOOONG school break.

However, in January 1994, I had been married about 6 weeks. The weathermen were predicting a wintry mix followed by a few inches of snow. The wintry mix came through well enough and dropped a solid layer of ice over everything, and then we had an episode of thundersnow overnight that dropped 15-18 inches of snow in the metro area and 20 inches at my house just a little farther out, followed by temperatures in the 20 below range for a few days. Pretty much the entire city of Louisville shut down for most of a week.  I'm the "let's stay in and watch movies and stay safe and warm" sort, and my husband was the "let's drive around and see how crazy it is everywhere" sort.  It was a trial by fire .... errrrr, snow .... but our fledgling marriage managed to survive.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online libertybele

« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2024, 11:43:39 pm »
its ccoooooooollllld outside

Indeed it is!!

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2024, 12:46:08 am »
I  would like to take a moment here....

We talk a lot about the weather here, and we drop a lot of jests about how hot or cold we have it.  I've gotten my share in! 

We are seeing a brutal cold coming in in most of the country right now and it has us all so worried about our dear friends. Worried enough to all of us to express prayers and love to keep us all safe.

Some of us are lucky because we are in the small corner of our country that is spared from the cold temperatures. From those of us, I want to offer Prayers for my TBR family in the teeth of this.  I am so lucky.   We joke at how I get such high temperatures (120F), but I love the heat!  I would never trade.  That said, I am in fear for my dear friends that they be spared the wrath!

May God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost spare us all in this.  May all of us see each other in the week ahead.

Amen!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 12:47:56 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online libertybele

« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2024, 01:00:33 am »
I  would like to take a moment here....

We talk a lot about the weather here, and we drop a lot of jests about how hot or cold we have it.  I've gotten my share in! 

We are seeing a brutal cold coming in in most of the country right now and it has us all so worried about our dear friends. Worried enough to all of us to express prayers and love to keep us all safe.

Some of us are lucky because we are in the small corner of our country that is spared from the cold temperatures. From those of us, I want to offer Prayers for my TBR family in the teeth of this.  I am so lucky.   We joke at how I get such high temperatures (120F), but I love the heat!  I would never trade.  That said, I am in fear for my dear friends that they be spared the wrath!

May God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost spare us all in this.  May all of us see each other in the week ahead.

Amen!

Amen.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2024, 01:55:20 am »
Supposed to be getting close to zero here in the Heart of Dixie.  I just pulled the grill off the porch and into the living room in case we lose power.  Propane is low, but I got plenty of charcoal and lighter fluid.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2024, 03:08:47 am »

Supposed to be getting close to zero here in the Heart of Dixie.  I just pulled the grill off the porch and into the living room in case we lose power.  Propane is low, but I got plenty of charcoal and lighter fluid.
@Hoodat

Watch out for carbon monoxide. That stuff will kill you and you will not see or smell anything. Suddenly, out of nowhere, you're dead.

Yep, here we go. For me, it is hitting tonight and through next week. It is odd to wake up and get a temperature in the morning and then see the temp go down during the day. The day is 'supposed' to warm up, not get colder.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online corbe

« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2024, 03:18:13 am »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online libertybele

« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2024, 03:47:14 am »
@Hoodat

Watch out for carbon monoxide. That stuff will kill you and you will not see or smell anything. Suddenly, out of nowhere, you're dead.

Seriously.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2024, 04:01:01 am »

WOO! Don't forget the cheddar jalapeno dogs..

Online Hoodat

« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2024, 04:05:49 am »
WOO! Don't forget the cheddar jalapeno dogs..

Copy that.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2024, 12:06:16 pm »
Be glad you're not in the Peoples' Republic of Canuckistan:

Rolling blackouts for Alberta tonught. The province is now feeling the full effect of Rachel Notley prematurely shutting down our coal plants. Wind and Solar at ZERO, while Natural Gas is barely keeping the lights on, literally.

https://twitter.com/TheRealKeean/status/1746349920188002442
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2024, 05:22:28 pm »

https://youtu.be/Hvtc9BWahMQ

hope that helps people stay warm. it's so cold - and now I have that song by the Stones stuck in my head.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 05:23:17 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2024, 05:44:58 pm »

The Independent, 2000:
This was 24 years ago.

Snow is starting to disappear from our lives. Sledges, snowmen, snowballs and the excitement of waking to find that the stuff has settled outside are all a rapidly diminishing part of Britain's culture, as warmer winters – which scientists are attributing to global climate change – produce not only fewer white Christmases, but fewer white Januaries and Februaries … Global warming, the heating of the atmosphere by increased amounts of industrial gases, is now accepted as a reality by the international community … According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit of the University of East Anglia, within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event". "Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said.

Stand by for icy blasts and heavy snow

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/blogs/tim-blair/children-just-arent-going-to-know-what-snow-is/news-story/5a16c85680b7cc94f345240a727fb09d

Do you get it? Everybody understands? The Global Warming freaks say no more cold weather, ever. And no more snow.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2024, 08:43:55 pm »
Be glad you're not in the Peoples' Republic of Canuckistan:

Rolling blackouts for Alberta tonught. The province is now feeling the full effect of Rachel Notley prematurely shutting down our coal plants. Wind and Solar at ZERO, while Natural Gas is barely keeping the lights on, literally.

This showcases why elections matter.  While in power in Alberta for only four years out of the last half century, Canadian leftists were able to inflict such a severe and long-lasting impact on the average Albertan.  Notley should be given hard prison time for any Albertan who freezes to death because of rolling blackouts.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2024, 09:17:33 pm »
@Hoodat

Yep, here we go. For me, it is hitting tonight and through next week. It is odd to wake up and get a temperature in the morning and then see the temp go down during the day. The day is 'supposed' to warm up, not get colder.
Very seriously. Nothing to mess with, I know of a young lady who died of Carbon Monoxide poisoning just using a Coleman Lantern to warm her tent--in Sturgis one August.

Burning charcoal can be a killer, and it produces high levels of CO.
Propane, burned with a catalytic heater, produces less, but ventilation is needed to keep levels of CO from becoming dangerous. (Ice fishermen using tents or 'ice houses' just keep the temp warm enough for their cold weather gear to be comfortable, with constant ventilation.)

The EPA recommends that indoor CO levels should not exceed 9 parts per million (ppm) for more than 8 hours, or 35 ppm for more than 1 hour.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2024, 09:22:57 pm »
Thirty one below in the North Dakota banana belt this morning, same yesterday, only with wind (-61 wind chill yesterday). Posters are up for a chap who is missing and has been for a few days, although if he isn't somewhere warm, I don't hold out much hope for him, although God has  worked miracles before.

It's Winter.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2024, 09:27:06 pm »
Thirty one below in the North Dakota banana belt this morning, same yesterday, only with wind (-61 wind chill yesterday). Posters are up for a chap who is missing and has been for a few days, although if he isn't somewhere warm, I don't hold out much hope for him, although God has  worked miracles before.

It's Winter.

It's pushing out over here... Only got -11 or so last night, and at -2 right now... by the end of the week back in the 30s...

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2024, 10:59:25 pm »
-19 in the Florida of Iowa this a.m. We were actually colder than NE IA in the little cold pocket here.

People hate it, but this kind of cold kills things you don't want, and keeps others from migrating up here, like fire ants. Keep them evil things down there.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2024, 11:03:39 pm »
-19 in the Florida of Iowa this a.m. We were actually colder than NE IA in the little cold pocket here.

People hate it, but this kind of cold kills things you don't want, and keeps others from migrating up here, like fire ants. Keep them evil things down there.
Yep. Spending a couple weeks with the Folks, where I grew up, I was appalled at the rate of decay of wood and steel. The former succumbs to a remarkable assortment of fungi and insects we don't have here in North Dakota. Any papers from my youth and books are generally placed in cold storage for a winter or two before being brought in the house, just to assure the death of all those nasty little critters that would doom my library to destruction or total fumigation.

The latter is destroyed thanks to high humidity and salt in the air...again, at an appalling rate.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 11:04:42 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis