Author Topic: Heads Up on Artic Blast Early Next Week  (Read 5854 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Heads Up on Artic Blast Early Next Week
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2024, 12:58:25 am »
Nothing worse than ice and burst water pipes.  If you lose heat, you may want to shut off the water and open the spigots to keep frozen water from bursting your pipes.

This IS good advice --- and worth repeating.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2024, 01:05:26 am »
This IS good advice --- and worth repeating.

Far better to have redundant sources of heat, and be capable of at least short term power generation, as the whole rural north knows well

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2024, 01:10:52 am »
Snow is cyclical.  78 and 79 was a mother for the midwest.  Best skiing and sledding we ever had.  Bring on the snow.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2024, 02:28:56 am »
Snow is cyclical.  78 and 79 was a mother for the midwest.  Best skiing and sledding we ever had.  Bring on the snow.
Had a good friend whose sister and her children were dragged by her husband to Ohio just in time for the worst winter in a very long time, as a matter of fact I think they called the blizzard of 1978 the storm of the century. Anyway it also blew up their marriage, you just don't take a SoCal girl into a situation like that and expect her to adapt.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2024, 12:39:18 pm »
Had a good friend whose sister and her children were dragged by her husband to Ohio just in time for the worst winter in a very long time, as a matter of fact I think they called the blizzard of 1978 the storm of the century. Anyway it also blew up their marriage, you just don't take a SoCal girl into a situation like that and expect her to adapt.

That’s a brutal thing to do to someone who has only lived in the perfect climate (SoCal).
It’s -19 this morning. I’m officially starting my hibernation.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2024, 01:44:27 pm »
That’s a brutal thing to do to someone who has only lived in the perfect climate (SoCal).
It’s -19 this morning. I’m officially starting my hibernation.
Darn shame that that perfect climate is in the hands of a sociopath like Newsom.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2024, 01:51:58 pm »
Snow is cyclical.  78 and 79 was a mother for the midwest. 
Lived in St. Louis at the time. It was brutal!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2024, 03:34:38 pm »

It was 5 days to flatten the curve.   er plow everyone out!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2024, 03:43:29 pm »
It was 5 days to flatten the curve.   er plow everyone out!

We have my wife's childhood home up near there.  This SE Texan endured his first and last blizzard up there in '13-'14.  Not going to happen again.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2024, 05:03:14 pm »
Darn shame that that perfect climate is in the hands of a sociopath like Noisome.
He's just the head sociopath, we have a whole slew of like minded sociopaths running our once fair state. I often dream of all the democrats including Noisome and Lt. Gov in session in Sacramento and Capitol sized SMOD punctuating them out of existence.............Does that make me a bad persson?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2024, 05:48:10 pm »

I was a college student in Michigan for that.  My college closed for the better part of a week, and they had never closed before that, ever.  I worked at a college radio station, and I skied to work.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2024, 05:51:02 pm »
I was a college student in Michigan for that.  My college closed for the better part of a week, and they had never closed before that, ever.  I worked at a college radio station, and I skied to work.

Skied or skitched?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2024, 05:55:07 pm »
Skied or skitched?

No cars on the road to skitch behind.   :shrug: 

I had Cross Country skis.  They were ideal in the city of Kalamazoo.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2024, 07:15:35 pm »
No cars on the road to skitch behind.   :shrug: 

Ah... hookey-bobbin, translated into Western.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2024, 07:19:52 pm »

:thumbsup:
I will NOT comply.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2024, 07:21:34 pm »

Same country. Different languages. :cool:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2024, 07:21:44 pm »
-31 last night, -66 with the wind chill. Not just here either... Points east of the hump too.

In case y'all don't get how cold that is, my kid, who is more prepared than any of us, lost power at 1 am, in the height of it.

Jenny wouldn't start.
Propane dried up because at that cold, it contracts enough in the can that it's minimal pressure is defeated.
Truck wouldn't start.

Just all done. All his preps for nothing.

Luckily the power came back on in 3 hrs, And all he had to deal with was a frozen wellhouse.

Lessons.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2024, 07:24:06 pm »
Same country. Different languages. :cool:

Yeah. Didn't know the word. @Cyber Liberty supplied the gist. 

Hookey-bobbin. :laugh:

Online Wingnut

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2024, 07:33:48 pm »
One time we were Hookey-bobbin/Skitchin behind a city sand/salt spreader (which seemed like a good idea at the time) when the driver flipped on the spreader.  I was spittin that crap out for hours!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2024, 07:37:51 pm »
-31 last night, -66 with the wind chill. Not just here either... Points east of the hump too.

In case y'all don't get how cold that is, my kid, who is more prepared than any of us, lost power at 1 am, in the height of it.

Jenny wouldn't start.
Propane dried up because at that cold, it contracts enough in the can that it's minimal pressure is defeated.
Truck wouldn't start.

Just all done. All his preps for nothing.

Luckily the power came back on in 3 hrs, And all he had to deal with was a frozen wellhouse.

Lessons.

@roamer_1 Below -43 deg. F propane will remain liquid forever. No vaporization at all.

Back in the old days all of us rural southern folk had Butane tanks buried in the ground because butane does the same thing propane does but at +33Deg F.  Now they have learned how to turn Butane into gasoline, and everyone had to switch to propane. (Every once in a while I run across an old, above ground, Butane tank that has, or once had, a vaporizer built in. They used an open flame to vaporize the butane.  YIKES!)
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2024, 07:39:16 pm »
One time we were Hookey-bobbin/Skitchin behind a city sand/salt spreader (which seemed like a good idea at the time) when the driver flipped on the spreader.  I was spittin that crap out for hours!

:silly:

Not to mention, instant traction.  :silly: :beer:

You and me are evidence of armies of angels protecting believers and fools.  :laugh:

Online Hoodat

« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2024, 07:45:46 pm »
Send some of that snow south of Tennessee, y'all
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2024, 07:48:08 pm »
Send some of that snow south of Tennessee, y'all

I think you would be better off having an orange creamsickle and calling it good.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2024, 07:50:51 pm »
@roamer_1 Below -43 deg. F propane will remain liquid forever. No vaporization at all.

Back in the old days all of us rural southern folk had Butane tanks buried in the ground because butane does the same thing propane does but at +33Deg F.  Now they have learned how to turn Butane into gasoline, and everyone had to switch to propane. (Every once in a while I run across an old, above ground, Butane tank that has, or once had, a vaporizer built in. They used an open flame to vaporize the butane.  YIKES!)

I went away from butane long ago - It's worse than propane in the cold, so I stepped off from butane for camp heat and stoves and lanterns. But yeah, in extreme cold, propane will stop working. Either keep a bottle inside with you, or make sure it's buried deep. So I have life-long eschewed propane too in camp, untill recently with the advent of Buddy Heaters.

Old lessons come back to bite... because the boy's buddy heaters wouldn't pop on, no matter what

The ONLY thing that starts in 30 below is a match... Wood works, no matter what.

Online DB

« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2024, 07:52:57 pm »

I didn't know that (the specific temperatures). So I assume that a buried propane tank pretty much works anywhere where there is civilization.