General Category > Weather

Heads Up on Artic Blast Early Next Week

(1/21) > >>

catfish1957:
Recent Model Runs are showing that the middle of country is going to be in the deep freeze very late this week, going int early next week.  Even down to the Gulf Coast. On the GFS at the 120 hour point they are progosticating  a 1052Mb High right at the Canadian/Montana border.   That is atm pressure of 31.06 Mercury.  A Big one.   

Followed by a second similar one at the 210 hour point.  About 8 days from now.  Front Range and Upper plains? I am hearing maybe in the -20 to -30 a poossibility.   With zero down to about a line from the TX/OK panhanle- MO/AR borders.  Gulf coast might be in the teens.  Agian this is just a modeled forecast, but right now I have a pretty good idea things are about to really get chill.  Bundle up and prepare accordingly.

bigheadfred:
I have been watching this. They had expected lows in the minus for the weekend (-10) but have raised it to around +10 now. The ten day is midteen low average and mid twenties highs.

Bigun:
Weather for next week.

I just received this from my friend who works for the National Weather Service in Houston. Plan accordingly.

--- Quote ---You've probably heard the TV forecasters talking about an Arctic outbreak that will be heading our way and some additional details are becoming available in the various forecast models.

Currently, most of the models have the cold front reaching southeast Texas by late Sunday/early Monday and open the door for an Arctic airmass to spill southward. The 0000Z European ECMWF model has our temperature locally falling to the 29-30 degree range by Sunday afternoon and is forecasting lows of 21-23 Monday, 11-12 Tuesday, and 24-25 Wednesday before southerly winds and a rapid warmup begin. The ECMWF also wants to bring some freezing precipitation through late on Monday.

The 0000Z Canadian GEM is a little slower with frontal arrival but also somewhat colder. It is forecasting a Sunday afternoon low in the 50s but has temperatures bottoming out in the 18-21 range Monday and to a bone chilling 8-9 Tuesday before rising to a balmy 10 or so Wednesday. The GEM's warmup doesn't really kick in until Thursday. The GEM is also forecasting some freezing precip getting close but has it further to our east.

The 12Z American GFS is still running but its 0000Z output, while still showing very cold temperatures and a hard freeze n the Monday-Wednesday period, was marginally warmer than the ECMWF and GEM. The 0000Z GFS wasn't forecasting any frozen precip for our area and realistically it is still too early to take a definitive position.

At this point in time, the safest forecast is to say we are looking at a hard freeze next week and preparations need to be made before the cold air gets here.

This morning's graphic from the HGX forecast office is included below.

--- End quote ---

Free Vulcan:

Oh yeah, it's gonna be that kind of cold

Free Vulcan:
You hate to go thru it, but the brutal cold not only keeps critters some of you all have down there, it also heaves the ground to make an excellent soil bed for growing in the spring.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version