Author Topic: Seeking 75 ships ready for combat, Navy turns to new readiness orgs  (Read 177 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Seeking 75 ships ready for combat, Navy turns to new readiness orgs
By Megan Eckstein
 Jan 9, 09:00 AM

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Navy’s surface fleet, still short of its readiness goal of 75 combat-credible surface ships at any given time, is pursuing new ways to boost its readiness.

Then-Commander of Naval Surface Forces Vice Adm. Roy Kitchener, who retired in August, announced in January 2023 the fleet would aim to have 75 mission-capable ships. The ships would be well maintained and the crews well trained, such that they could be sent into combat on a moment’s notice if needed.

At the time, Kitchener declined to say how many ships were mission-capable. A Navy official not authorized to speak on the record about the numbers recently told Defense News it was in the “low 50s” at that time.

Over the past year, current Commander of Naval Surface Forces Vice Adm. Brendan McLane told reporters the fleet has been able to “get up to over 60, but now it’s kind of hovering between 50 and 60 ships on any given day.”

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2024/01/09/seeking-75-ready-ships-navy-turns-to-new-readiness-orgs/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Seeking 75 ships ready for combat, Navy turns to new readiness orgs
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 04:12:54 pm »
How many ships have been decommissioned under Biden?  Besides, they can't recruit enough people for the fleet they now have let alone another 75 ships. :nono:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson