Author Topic: West Point can continue considering race as part of admissions during ongoing legal battle, judge ru  (Read 191 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
West Point can continue considering race as part of admissions during ongoing legal battle, judge rules
By Jamiel Lynch, CNN

Updated 10:12 PM EST, Wed January 3, 2024

CNN
 —
A federal judge on Wednesday ruled the United States Military Academy at West Point can continue to consider race as a factor for admissions, denying a request for a preliminary injunction from the same group that won the landmark Supreme Court case that gutted affirmative action.

Students for Fair Admissions, a conservative group, alleged in a 2023 lawsuit West Point’s use of race in admissions was unconstitutional and asked the court to prohibit them from “considering or knowing” an applicant’s race during the admission process.

The preliminary injunction would have prohibited the military academy in New York from considering race during its admissions process while the lawsuit is ongoing. Students for Fair Admissions filed an emergency notice of appeal Wednesday, according to court records.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/03/us/west-point-race-admissions-affirmative-action/index.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I fail to understand why racism can be "considered" in admission of blacks but not for whites, especially at a military academy which is tasked to protect the Constitution! :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson