Author Topic: US quietly reaches agreement with Qatar to keep operating largest military base in Middle East  (Read 175 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

US quietly reaches agreement with Qatar to keep operating largest military base in Middle East
By Alex Marquardt and Natasha Bertrand, CNN

Published 4:42 PM EST, Tue January 2, 2024

CNN
 —
The United States has quietly reached an agreement that extends its military presence at a sprawling base in Qatar for another 10 years, three US defense officials and another official familiar with the agreement told CNN.

The deal, which has not been announced publicly, highlights Washington’s reliance on the tiny Gulf country that has recently played a central role in mediating the release of Americans from captivity in Gaza and Venezuela.

The Al Udeid Air Base, located in the desert southwest of Doha, is the biggest US military installation in the Middle East and can house more than 10,000 American troops.

Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin visited Al Udeid last month where he thanked Qatar for their increased spending on the base.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/02/politics/us-qatar-agreement-largest-base-middle-east/index.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
At least until Hamas threatens Qatar. :bolt:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson