Author Topic: New in 2024: Marines build 3rd Littoral Regiment to fight peer threats  (Read 133 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New in 2024: Marines build 3rd Littoral Regiment to fight peer threats
By Todd South
 Jan 1, 11:44 PM

Another regiment is planned for Guam in 2025. (Cpl. Eric Huynh/Marine Corps)
The Marine littoral regiment has emerged as the major unit the Corps expects to deliver on the service’s promise to counter peer threats, especially in the Pacific.

Over the next year, two Marine littoral regiments will work toward becoming fully operational and ready for war, if needed.

The Corps redesignated 3rd Marine Regiment to the 3rd Marine Littoral Regiment in March 2022. The unit’s headquarters is at Marine Corps Base Hawaii. It reached initial operational capability in 2023 and is expected to hit full operational capability, meaning fully equipped, staffed and trained, by fiscal year 2025.

In November 2023 the Corps converted the 12th Marine Regiment, an artillery-centric unit in Okinawa, Japan, to the 12th Marine Littoral Regiment.

The third, and as far as force design plans currently note, final Marine littoral regiment in the Pacific, is expected to launch in 2025, likely based on Guam, according to a March 2023 Congressional Research Service report.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2024/01/02/new-in-2024-marines-build-3rd-littoral-regiment-to-fight-peer-threats/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson