Author Topic: Baseball 2024  (Read 51745 times)

Online Hoodat

Re: Baseball 2024
« Reply #200 on: June 04, 2024, 05:09:16 pm »
LSU v. UNC

Check out this two-strike bunt.  Full count.  Runner on second.

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1797833544489918789

So, which was the gutsier call?  Bunting with two strikes and a man in scoring position?  Or the third baseman letting it roll?

(In retrospect, the right call would have been not to bunt and taken the walk since the pitch was obviously a ball).

UNC went on to tie it in the ninth and win it in the tenth.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #201 on: June 04, 2024, 05:44:40 pm »
A game of inches will sometimes break your heart.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #202 on: June 05, 2024, 12:40:58 am »
I don't have a problem with Tucupita Marcano betting on baseball if he wasn't on the active roster.

Marcano, currently a member of the San Diego Padres, was found to have placed 231 MLB-related bets, including 25 that MLB says included wagers on Pirates games while he was on the team's major league roster. However, he did not appear in any of those games because he was on the injured list following a season-ending knee injury. He was receiving medical treatment at PNC Park during that time.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40275531/tucupita-marcano-gets-life-mlb-ban-betting-baseball
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Hoodat

« Reply #203 on: June 05, 2024, 03:48:38 am »
Marcano, currently a member of the San Diego Padres, was found to have placed 231 MLB-related bets, including 25 that MLB says included wagers on Pirates games while he was on the team's major league roster. However, he did not appear in any of those games because he was on the injured list following a season-ending knee injury. He was receiving medical treatment at PNC Park during that time.

He had inside information.  He bet for (or against) his own team while on the roster and while associating with other teammates.  I would love to know how hungover a pitcher was from the night before or how sore a shortstop's ankle was from some injury unknown to the public.  Who had stomach flu.  Etc.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #204 on: June 05, 2024, 07:50:10 am »
He had inside information.  He bet for (or against) his own team while on the roster and while associating with other teammates.  I would love to know how hungover a pitcher was from the night before or how sore a shortstop's ankle was from some injury unknown to the public.  Who had stomach flu.  Etc.

Good points.

My thinking was that he wasn't in uniform nor anywhere near his teammates on a day-to-day basis...no opportunity to affect an outcome.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #205 on: June 07, 2024, 08:27:08 pm »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #206 on: June 07, 2024, 08:48:28 pm »
Damn Yankees!!   

Will they ever lose again??  /s

LOL!  Dodgers come thru in 11 innings!  2-1!   :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2024, 09:01:19 am by DCPatriot »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #207 on: June 11, 2024, 02:30:09 am »
It's an all ACC/SEC College World Series.

ACC:  UNC, NC State, UVA, FSU

SEC:  Tennessee, Florida, Texas A&M, Kentucky

Upcoming games:

Fri June 14:

UVA v. UNC
FSU v. Tenn

Sat June 15:

NC State v. Kentucky
Florida v. Texas A&M

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #208 on: June 11, 2024, 12:29:34 pm »

At one point during a game, the coach called one of his 9-year-old baseball players aside.
And asked, "Do you understand what cooperation is? What a team is?
"Yes, coach", replied the little boy. "
Do you understand that what matters is whether we win or lose together as a team?"
The little boy nodded in the affirmative.
"So," the coach continued, "I'm sure you know, when an out is called, you shouldn't argue,
curse the umpire, or call him an ass***. Do you understand all that?"
Again, the little boy nodded in the affirmative.
The coach continued, "And when I take you out of the game so that another boy gets a chance to play,
it's not a dumb-a** decision or that the coach is a shit**** is it?"
"No, coach."
"Good", said the coach. "Now go over there and explain all that to your grandmother.”

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #209 on: June 11, 2024, 12:38:17 pm »
"Good", said the coach. "Now go over there and explain all that to your grandmother.”
:rolling:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #210 on: June 17, 2024, 03:28:06 am »
Don't look now, but...

okay, LOOK!

The Orioles just took 2 of 3 from the Phillies to crawl even with the AL East division leading Yanks in the LOSS column.

The Yankees have played 3 more games than the O's putting them just 1.5 games GAMES BACK in the standings.

The O's travel to Yankee stadium for a 3 game series beginning Tuesday nite.

They hosted the Yankees in Baltimore earlier this year taking 3 out of a 4 game series.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #211 on: June 18, 2024, 11:18:31 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/BhrlDdzR7YY?

Check Swing HR?  OR, is it CGI??

The ball today is juiced!!   :silly:

@Polly Ticks   @Bigun  @catfish1957 @AllThatJazzZ  @Hoodat

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #212 on: June 18, 2024, 11:46:12 pm »
"Excuse me while I hit this home run into another ball park."

:rolling: :thud:

@Polly Ticks   @Bigun  @catfish1957 @DCPatriot   @Hoodat

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #213 on: June 18, 2024, 11:51:50 pm »

I know, right?   Was trying to read the names on the scoreboard and realized it wasn't on the level!   :silly:

Online Hoodat

« Reply #214 on: June 19, 2024, 01:47:17 am »
CWS

SEC is dominating.  Eight teams whittled down to five.  Three of the four ACC teams are out.  FSU lives to fight another day.  The fourth team will be the loser between Kentucky and Florida.

Tennessee and Texas A&M are both 2-0.  FSU plays Tennessee tomorrow.  Kentucky plays Florida, with the winner playing Texas A&M the following day, and the loser going home.

Looks like it will likely be an all-SEC championship unless FSU can take two in a row from Tennessee (after losing a heartbreaker to them in the opening round).  In the first game, FSU was up by three going into the bottom of the ninth.  But Tennessee put four on the board for the walk-off win.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #215 on: June 19, 2024, 01:59:10 am »
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/BhrlDdzR7YY?

Check Swing HR?  OR, is it CGI??

The ball today is juiced!!

The only thing juiced here is Jorge Polanco.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #216 on: June 19, 2024, 02:07:16 pm »

:rolling:

CWS
[...]
Kentucky plays Florida, with the winner playing Texas A&M the following day, and the loser going home.

Go Big Blue!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #217 on: June 19, 2024, 02:19:17 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #218 on: June 19, 2024, 07:06:06 pm »

Online MeganC

• Putin, the low rent Hitler
« Reply #219 on: June 19, 2024, 08:45:15 pm »
RIP Willie Mays.  8888crybaby **nononono*
There is nothing feminine about feminism.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #220 on: June 20, 2024, 06:57:05 am »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #221 on: June 21, 2024, 12:00:18 pm »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #222 on: June 21, 2024, 09:51:02 pm »

:rolling:   :silly:

Offline catfish1957

• The Conservative Rapscallion of the Carp Kingdom
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #223 on: June 22, 2024, 04:09:55 am »

18 hits, and still can't punch a "W"?

Of course this is from a team that hasn't won a LCS in 40 years.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #224 on: June 22, 2024, 10:23:14 am »

18 hits, and still can't punch a "W"?

Of course this is from a team that hasn't won a LCS in 40 years.

@catfish1957

ROFL!  Knew that I would wake up this morning to something like this from you.

I turned it off when they were down by 8 runs...my phone started to light up with all my sons giving me updates.

My son Jason texted me: "Dad...don't you dare turn the game back on...they're only down by THREE RUNS!!"

Amazing that as soon as Grayson Rodriquiez was yanked, the wheels came off.

...or was it that the garbage cans were brought out or something??    :beer:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 10:49:39 am by DCPatriot »