Author Topic: Baseball 2024  (Read 10808 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Baseball 2024
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2024, 01:34:32 pm »
Players' unions have ruined the game. It used to be that if you didn't play it hit you in the pocket. Now we have multi-millionaires riding the pine for entire seasons. Careers in McCullers's case.

LMC Jr. ....Arm of glass.  :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2024, 02:12:39 pm »
Players' unions have ruined the game. It used to be that if you didn't play it hit you in the pocket. Now we have multi-millionaires riding the pine for entire seasons. Careers in McCullers's case.

@Bigun

Fortunately for me, I'm a newbie so I don't have that same frame of reference. It's not like I don't care about the exorbitant salaries. I think everyday folks are getting priced out of the game in many ways. I don't buy MLB merch. I don't attend the games. I just watch on local TV like so many other geezers. 

LMC Jr. ....Arm of glass.  :cool:

@catfish1957

And buns of steel.  :yowsa: I look forward to the day he comes back.  3333hugs

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2024, 03:09:49 pm »
Fortunately for me, I'm a newbie so I don't have that same frame of reference. It's not like I don't care about the exorbitant salaries. I think everyday folks are getting priced out of the game in many ways. I don't buy MLB merch. I don't attend the games. I just watch on local TV like so many other geezers. 
I was a huge fan in my youth. My family couldn't afford to attend a lot of games, but whenever my father took me to Forbes Field or, later, Three Rivers Stadium, it was a big deal. Years later, as a young adult, I attended as many Cardinals games at Busch Stadium as possible, watching from the cheap seats.

In contrast, now that we actually can afford it, we've attended no more than three MLB games in the last 28 years.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2024, 03:54:22 pm »
I was a huge fan in my youth. My family couldn't afford to attend a lot of games, but whenever my father took me to Forbes Field or, later, Three Rivers Stadium, it was a big deal. Years later, as a young adult, I attended as many Cardinals games at Busch Stadium as possible, watching from the cheap seats.

In contrast, now that we actually can afford it, we've attended no more than three MLB games in the last 28 years.  :pondering:

@mountaineer

There's absolutely nothing better in life than taking your young children to their first major league game...seeing their faces/expression change as they come thru the short tunnel from the mezzanine and seeing that shade of green grass, just sprayed infield dirt, white chalk lines and snow white bases...the billboard outfield walls, the giant scoreboard...

First impressions are everything!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2024, 04:18:04 pm »
@mountaineer

There's absolutely nothing better in life than taking your young children to their first major league game...seeing their faces/expression change as they come thru the short tunnel from the mezzanine and seeing that shade of green grass, just sprayed infield dirt, white chalk lines and snow white bases...the billboard outfield walls, the giant scoreboard...

First impressions are everything!

My youngest son is my baseball buddy.  I took him to his first game at the Great American Ballpark to watch the Braves play the Reds because I wanted to be a little closer to home than Atlanta -- he was an ADHD 8-year-old and sitting still for 3 hours really wasn't his forte.  As it turned out, we had a 1.5 hour rain delay prior to the start of the game, and then watched a 1-0 pitchers' duel of a game.  And that little man sat there transfixed by the whole thing.  We've gone to Atlanta together every year since then, with the Covid year being our only exception.  I'm quite sure when I'm dead and gone he will always remember those baseball trips with Mom, and that is priceless.

Non-nosebleed tickets and concessions are crazy, though! 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2024, 07:54:06 pm »
The first and only time I've been to Minute Maid Park, I cried when I walked inside. I entered at center field and walked over to the railing to take in the whole thing. My heart felt full, I got a lump in my throat, and tears stung my eyes.

I had been to an Astros game once before in the Dome, but I'd seen the Dome numerous times by then and I wasn't a baseball fan at that point. My cousin invited me because he couldn't get a date for the day of that game. I did it as a favor to him, although I would have preferred to stay home. His driving scared the liver out of me, and I swore that if I lived through the night, I'd never get in the car with him again. And I haven't!  wink777

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2024, 08:14:46 pm »
The first and only time I've been to Minute Maid Park, I cried when I walked inside. I entered at center field and walked over to the railing to take in the whole thing. My heart felt full, I got a lump in my throat, and tears stung my eyes.

I had been to an Astros game once before in the Dome, but I'd seen the Dome numerous times by then and I wasn't a baseball fan at that point. My cousin invited me because he couldn't get a date for the day of that game. I did it as a favor to him, although I would have preferred to stay home. His driving scared the liver out of me, and I swore that if I lived through the night, I'd never get in the car with him again. And I haven't!  wink777

Good thing you didn't lose your liver... @roamer_1  would have eaten it.  (member's lounge)   :bolt:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2024, 03:21:30 pm »
Y'all, I may need you to call the paramedics if the Astros don't pull it together. I'm not too thrilled about their offense, but I've seen that ebb and flow before. But the bullpen really has me nervous. What do y'all think, 'Stros fans? Am I too frantic too soon? Talk me down, y'all.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2024, 12:59:15 pm »
Y'all, I may need you to call the paramedics if the Astros don't pull it together. I'm not too thrilled about their offense, but I've seen that ebb and flow before. But the bullpen really has me nervous. What do y'all think, 'Stros fans? Am I too frantic too soon? Talk me down, y'all.

Not a 'Stros fan -- Go Braves!! -- but definitely too soon to panic.  It's a LONG season.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2024, 01:10:37 pm »
Been a studied fan since '65, and looking at the team top to bottom, this might look like the weakest pitching staff that we've had in 10 years.

Doesn't matter if the team has Tucker Bregman, Alvarez, Altuve, Abreu.....   This pitching staff's, even with a mid season Verlander return has holes galore.    Just my take, but the ride might be over, as much fun as it was.  My best guess is 5-10 over .500, and maybe make the playoffs as a WC, and then an early exit.... IF they make it.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2024, 01:35:18 pm »

I'm sorry to say that I can't be of any help to you @AllThatJazzZ you know why.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2024, 05:20:44 pm »
Not a 'Stros fan -- Go Braves!! -- but definitely too soon to panic.  It's a LONG season.

@Polly Ticks

:tongue2:

Been a studied fan since '65, and looking at the team top to bottom, this might look like the weakest pitching staff that we've had in 10 years.

Doesn't matter if the team has Tucker Bregman, Alvarez, Altuve, Abreu.....   This pitching staff's, even with a mid season Verlander return has holes galore.    Just my take, but the ride might be over, as much fun as it was.  My best guess is 5-10 over .500, and maybe make the playoffs as a WC, and then an early exit.... IF they make it.

@catfish1957

I knew I could count on you ... to stoke my fears!  ****slapping

I'm sorry to say that I can't be of any help to you @AllThatJazzZ you know why.

@Bigun

And I knew you wouldn't be weighing in ... except to tell me that you wouldn't be weighing in.  :silly: wink777

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2024, 05:53:13 pm »

@Bigun

And I knew you wouldn't be weighing in ... except to tell me that you wouldn't be weighing in.  :silly: wink777

ROFL!!  Exactly, @AllThatJazzZ    :silly:   :beer:

My darn Orioles lost 2 walk-offs vs. @mountaineer 's Bucs....geez   :shrug:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 05:54:01 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2024, 06:27:39 pm »
This is the Bucco way - win early, then fall apart after the All-Star break.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2024, 09:49:44 pm »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2024, 04:30:25 am »
@Hoodat

I've been watching baseball since WS 2017, and I was NOT prepared for this idiocy. I never dreamed this kind of incompetence would be tolerated, but here we are.  **nononono* :shrug:

And if you call out his incompetence, you're a (say it with me, everyone) RACIST!

BTW, if you Google "Who is the worst umpire in major league baseball," guess whose name pops up.

Here's a summation of his performance last year, which was mercifully cut short due to a back problem.
https://www.si.com/fannation/mlb/fastball/news/umpire-angel-hernandez-finishes-regular-season-with-worst-rating-in-mlb

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2024, 05:43:32 am »
@Hoodat

I've been watching baseball since WS 2017, and I was NOT prepared for this idiocy. I never dreamed this kind of incompetence would be tolerated, but here we are.  **nononono* :shrug:

And if you call out his incompetence, you're a (say it with me, everyone) RACIST!

BTW, if you Google "Who is the worst umpire in major league baseball," guess whose name pops up.

Here's a summation of his performance last year, which was mercifully cut short due to a back problem.
https://www.si.com/fannation/mlb/fastball/news/umpire-angel-hernandez-finishes-regular-season-with-worst-rating-in-mlb

@AllThatJazzZ

Langford should have been a baseball martyr and beat Hernandez over the head with his bat...chasing him around the field like a Tom & Jerry cartoon.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2024, 05:52:20 am »
My beloved Orioles are getting spanked by @Lando Lincoln 's Brewers ... twice in 2 days!    8888crybaby

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2024, 08:13:59 pm »

Jackson Holliday...the #1 prospect in the MLB...

No wonder Jackson Holliday is struggling at the plate.

Remember what Mickey told Rocky before his big fight:  "NO SEX!  It weakens the mind and the legs!"

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2024, 11:00:26 pm »
HOLY CRAP!!

Orioles' Cedric Mullins just made the most incredible catch in centerfield that I've ever seen in my life...and I've been watching baseball for over 70 years!!

You will be seeing it on MLB this week for sure!  It was super human, I tell ya!

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2024, 01:17:19 am »
HOLY CRAP!!

Orioles' Cedric Mullins just made the most incredible catch in centerfield that I've ever seen in my life...and I've been watching baseball for over 70 years!!

You will be seeing it on MLB this week for sure!  It was super human, I tell ya!

@DCPatriot

Pretty awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvKOCfyolBs

You're welcome.  wink777
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 01:19:13 am by AllThatJazzZ »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2024, 02:04:21 am »
Why we love baseball....

(A Jomboy breakdown)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt-UpHI7mmE&t=9s

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2024, 02:14:42 am »
Jim Edmonds, 2004

Kevin Mitchell, 1989

Gary Matthews, Jr., 2006

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2024, 02:15:29 am »
Why we love baseball....

(A Jomboy breakdown)

Stealing home is the most awesome play of any sport.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-