Author Topic: What are you watching now?...2024  (Read 9245 times)

Offline goatprairie

Re: What are you watching now?...2024
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2024, 06:01:54 pm »
Watched "Oppenheimer" yesterday. Extremely unimpressed for a number of reasons.
    OMGGGGGGG SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

The director decided to have an obnoxious score blasting through almost the entire length of the extremely long movie.
The movie was not linear but jumped from the past to the present to the future and back again.  The movie seemed to dwell more on Oppenheimer's supposed persecution for his communist associations.
There was very little about the actual development of the a-bomb. The only part of the movie that really gripped me were the scenes depicting the explosion of the first a-bomb in New Mexico.
Other than that, I had to fight off boredom.
I don't get the great reviews. But then I'm a curmudgeon and don't much like anything out of Hollyweird.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2024, 10:57:40 pm »
This past weekend watched "Downfall", the 2004 German film about the last days of Hitler and the Germans around him in the Berlin bunker (actually, the more prominent character is his young secretary).

This is the film from which the "Hitler parody" videos is taken. Surprisingly, this segment is actually in the first third of so of the film, not at the end.

I didn't know what to expect, but it was very good. I'd recommend it to forum members, but this is a movie to which you have to pay attention, as it has English subtitles.

Don't let that scare you off. I would have thought that for being set mostly "in a bunker" it would be claustrophobic and boring, but it wasn't. It IS two hours and 35 minutes, so you might want to watch it over two viewings (do "the split" at 1'15").

This one gets saved into my film archives...

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2024, 12:17:06 am »
This past weekend watched "Downfall", the 2004 German film about the last days of Hitler and the Germans around him in the Berlin bunker (actually, the more prominent character is his young secretary).

This is the film from which the "Hitler parody" videos is taken. Surprisingly, this segment is actually in the first third of so of the film, not at the end.

I didn't know what to expect, but it was very good. I'd recommend it to forum members, but this is a movie to which you have to pay attention, as it has English subtitles.

Don't let that scare you off. I would have thought that for being set mostly "in a bunker" it would be claustrophobic and boring, but it wasn't. It IS two hours and 35 minutes, so you might want to watch it over two viewings (do "the split" at 1'15").

Agreed!  Bruno Ganz (RIP) was literally channeling Hitler...even down to his heavy Austrian accent.

Q&A Special: Actor Bruno Ganz on playing Hitler

https://theartsdesk.com/film/qa-special-actor-bruno-ganz-playing-hitler

“So Many Actors Have Failed”: Historian Lauds Controversial Take On Hitler In 19-Year-Old WW2 Movie

https://screenrant.com/downfall-movie-ww2-hitler-accuracy-historian-expert-response/
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2024, 12:46:14 am »

Sam Loudermilk is a recovering alcoholic and substance-abuse counselor with a bad attitude. Although he has his drinking under control, Loudermilk discovers that when your life is a mess, getting clean is the easy part.

Loudermilk on NetFlix is an extremely zany/satirical anti-woke show about the struggle of alcohol/drug addiction and the insanity of a 'woke-world'.

I liked it but not everyone will. It is niche.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 02:32:48 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2024, 12:57:44 am »
Agreed!  Bruno Ganz (RIP) was literally channeling Hitler...even down to his heavy Austrian accent.

Q&A Special: Actor Bruno Ganz on playing Hitler

https://theartsdesk.com/film/qa-special-actor-bruno-ganz-playing-hitler

“So Many Actors Have Failed”: Historian Lauds Controversial Take On Hitler In 19-Year-Old WW2 Movie

https://screenrant.com/downfall-movie-ww2-hitler-accuracy-historian-expert-response/
I haven't seen that particular film about Hitler. Of course, I've laughed at all the parodies.
I've seen numerous documentaries about Hitler. One doc I saw on YT was very interesting for the fact that it showed all the close calls Hitler had in life. It's a nothing short of an evil miracle that he survived as long as he did considering the many times he barely escaped death.
The most intriguing was the time when as a soldier during WWI he was wandering around after a terrible battle completely unarmed. He was walking aimlessly when he heard the sound of a rifle bolt being clicked. He turned to see a British soldier aiming his rifle at him from less than ten yards or so. The British soldier was perfectly in his rights to shoot Hitler even though he was unarmed, but seeing Hitler unarmed, he put his rifle down and let him go.
The British soldier in question might have been Henry Tandy the most decorated British soldier of the war, but historians dispute that saying his regiment and Hitler's were too far apart for it to have happened.
When asked about the incident shortly after WW2 started Tandy said he vaguely recalled letting some soldier go, but he couldn't be sure it was Hitler.
But he said had he known it was Hitler considering the harm he was doing, he would have pulled the trigger.

Online corbe

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2024, 02:13:22 am »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2024, 04:14:08 am »

Sam Loudermilk is a recovering alcoholic and substance-abuse counselor with a bad attitude. Although he has his drinking under control, Loudermilk discovers that when your life is a mess, getting clean is the easy part.

Loudermilk on NetFlix is an extremely zany/satirical anti-woke show about the struggle of alcohol/drug addiction and the insanity of a 'woke-world'.

I liked it but not everyone will. It is niche.
What's the name of the show?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2024, 12:03:15 am »
What's the name of the show?
Loudermilk

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2024, 08:13:28 pm »
HALO - PARAMOUNT STREAMING.
Currently watching HALO on Paramount streaming video. Seasons one and two. I really must say that I am smitten.

Science fiction space stuff mixed with superheroes and war/politics. I do not know what attracts me to this story, but I know I like it. I like it a lot.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2024, 10:03:00 pm »
This past weekend, watched "The Day After Tomorrow", which I'd never seen before.

If you can get by the baked-in political propaganda, it was ok...

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2024, 11:42:02 pm »
Watching a documentary on NETFLIX called "The Program". It is a documentary about reform schools in the 80s and 90s.
It is a very brutal real-life depiction of the abuses of these programs and the scams they were running on the parents.
It is hard to watch but extremely interesting.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 11:42:48 pm by 240B »

Offline LMAO

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2024, 11:49:29 pm »

I also share your assessment of that film. It starts out with a commentary from the real Traudl Junge, who was Hitler’s secretary, before she passed away
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online corbe

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2024, 12:17:46 am »
   Just ordered this for $6 on EBAY, I Love Micheal Keaton and Melanie Griffith.
   I know @Texas Robin will also.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2024, 02:58:27 am »
HALO - PARAMOUNT STREAMING.
Currently watching HALO on Paramount streaming video. Seasons one and two. I really must say that I am smitten.

Science fiction space stuff mixed with superheroes and war/politics. I do not know what attracts me to this story, but I know I like it. I like it a lot.
You are not alone! :laugh:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2024, 02:59:42 am »
Loudermilk
Thanks, I will check it out.

C S Lewis

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2024, 03:13:52 am »
Just finished viewing a 5 episode Netflix Docuseries on New York City Detectives solving crimes such as the Carnegie Deli murders above the iconic restaurant, adjacent to David Letterman's late night show.

Good stuff to get away from the LBGTQ crap they stick in every possible program.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2024, 04:51:51 pm »
FYI...

Recently watched "INTO THE DARK" on Netflix...about a passenger plane that must circle the globe to remain in darkness because the sun's polar axis 'flipped', causing acute solar storm which reaches Earth, where it kills every living organism...essentially 'microwaving' /cooking them from the inside out.

Now, I'm in the middle of YAKUZMA-245, about a Turkish submarine on maneuvers which tracked a commercial experimental diving sub exploring a deep Mediterranean trench.

Lucky for all of them, because the sun's polar axis  'flipped', causing an acute solar storm which destroys anybody caught in daylight...cooking them from the inside out.

WTF is going on here?    :shrug:  (Both on Netflix)
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2024, 09:32:26 pm »
This weekend:
"The Gospel of Matthew".

Next weekend:
"The Gospel of John".
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 01:42:54 am by Fishrrman »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2024, 09:54:09 pm »
This past weekend, watched "The Day After Tomorrow", which I'd never seen before.

If you can get by the baked-in political propaganda, it was ok...

Is that the one about the Nuclear Bomb? If you want a really good film on the nuclear bomb, watch "Threads" I saw it on You Tube and the ending gave me nightmares for a week.

https://youtu.be/p5IAXoOfFf0?si=TrMb7M7PiR1ISuOj

@Fishrrman
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 09:55:17 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2024, 11:49:16 am »
Another season of "Call The Midwife"

and two other shows on PBS- "Nolly" and "Alice and Jack"

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2024, 12:43:24 pm »
Dune II - Preview.  Can't wait to see it.  Almost $200 million spent on this.

We watched it this past weekend.  I thought it was good, and my spouse & kids liked it better than the first one.

Side note - I tried out the in-theater closed captioning device for the first time ever, and was VERY impressed with it.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2024, 06:45:02 pm »
I watched "Oppenheimer" at home Saturday night (bought the blu-ray). Strangely, I came away from it sympathizing with Strauss and thinking that Oppenheimer and his commie friends should have been treated much worse than they were. I don't think that's the reaction I was supposed to have though.   :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2024, 07:23:25 pm »
I watched "Oppenheimer" at home Saturday night (bought the blu-ray). Strangely, I came away from it sympathizing with Strauss and thinking that Oppenheimer and his commie friends should have been treated much worse than they were. I don't think that's the reaction I was supposed to have though.   :shrug:

Agreed.  The fact of the matter is that the Soviets, through Chevalier, approached him for secret info, and not only did Oppenheimer fail to immediately report it, he lied to the Army six months later when he eventually did.  And then, the stakes were considerably higher after 1949, when the Soviets tested their own A-Bomb.  So yeah, Strauss had very good reason to be suspicious of Oppenheimer, and he wasn't the only one.

The true story...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppenheimer_security_clearance_hearing
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 07:27:33 pm by Timber Rattler »
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline berdie

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2024, 08:29:04 pm »
Dang! Ya'll are so deep.

Right now, I'm just watching reruns of Gunsmoke, lol.

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2024, 10:11:22 pm »
Gefn wrote:
"If you want a really good film on the nuclear bomb, watch "Threads" I saw it on You Tube and the ending gave me nightmares for a week."

Yes, I've seen that one. Very good.

For the past year (maybe closer to two), I've made a "project" for myself to collect and watch nearly the entire genre of disaster/apocalypse films, as many as I could find (most "zombie" films not included).

Here's the list of those I collected so far.
An * indicates that it was "better".
An - indicates... not so much.

The Road
Threads
No Blade of Grass
Deluge (1933)
I am Legend (2007 version with alternate ending)
World Without End (1956)
The Stand (1994)
Miracle Mile (1988)
The Last Man On Earth (1964)
Outbreak (1995)
A Boy And His Dog (1974)
The Omega Man (1971)
Doomsday (2008)
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Children of Men (2006)*
Equilibrium (2002)
The Postman (1997)
Reign of Fire (2002)*
The Quiet Earth (1985)
Carriers (2009)
City of Ember (2008)*
Knowing (2009)
10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)
Diverge (2016)
Mad Max (1979)
The Road Warrior (1981)
Mad Max 3 Beyond Thunderdome (1985)
The Book of Eli (2010)
The Last Survivors (2014)
Goodbye, World (2013)
Into the Forest (2015)
Songbird (2020)
Testament (1983)
Oblivion (2013)
The Maze Runner (2014)
Maze Runner II & III
Greenland (2020)*
Perfect Sense (2011)*
The Rover (2014)
Z for Zacharia (2015)
The Survivalist (2015)
Vanishing on 7th Street (2010)
Bokeh (2017)
Logan's Run (1976)
Blindness (2008)*
Silent Running (1972)
Snowpiercer (2013)
What Still Remains (2018)
Right At Your Door (2006)
It Comes At Night (2017)
12 Monkeys
I Think We're Alone Now (2018)
The Matrix (1999)
Waterworld (1995)
Five (1951)
This Is Not A Test (1962)
Terminator: Salvation (2009)*
Escape from L.A. (1996)
Take Shelter (2011)
These Final Hours (Australian, 2013)
How I Live Now (2013)
The Last Boy (2019)***
Legion (2010)
Seeking a Friend For The End of The World (2012)
Parts Per Billion (2014) -
The Day The Earth Caught Fire (1961)*
Where Have All The People Gone? (1974)
Finch (2021)
Colossus The Forbin Project (1970)
Deep Impact (1998)
Damnation Alley (1977) --
Def-Con 4 (1985)
Gravity (2013)
Phase IV (1974)
Elysium (2013) *
The Rapture (1991)
2012 (2009)
Armageddon (1998)
The Impossible (2012)***
Glen and Randa (1971)
The Day After Tomorrow (2004)

One that I would HIGHLY recommend is "The Last Boy".
VERY interesting film.