Author Topic: Wartime Command & Control  (Read 145 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Wartime Command & Control
« on: January 01, 2024, 02:27:43 pm »

Wartime Command & Control

The War of 2026 scenario demands rethinking both command and control with mission command a central tenet.
By Admiral Scott Swift, U.S. Navy (Retired)
January 2024 Proceedings Vol. 150/1/1,451
THE AMERICAN SEA POWER PROJECT

Analyzing command and control (C2)—whether in an academic environment, a wargame or exercise debrief, or through a historical lens—can be an interesting but often sterile endeavor. Which senior leader made what decision based on what information available at which time? Which side put the right leaders in command with the proper control mechanisms and the authorities to act to gain decision advantage over the adversary? These are weighty but often lofty discussions.

There is nothing lofty and everything weighty about command and control in the 2026 scenario. It will be visceral and pressurized, with constant life-and-death decisions. As the scenario states, the stakes “are enormous—much greater than at any time since the Cold War or even World War II—and carry extraordinary implications. . . . ‘Business as usual’ is not viable.” Commanders at all levels will have to make the hardest decisions of their lives, often with limited time to think and with thousands of lives on the line.

What follows is a discussion of C2 based on years of study and experience in exercises and wargames focused on the western Pacific. I cannot pretend to have lived through—never mind led through—a war of this intensity. But U.S. and allied commanders must stretch their imaginations now to inform C2 relationships before such a scenario ever becomes a reality.

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2024/january/wartime-command-control
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson