Author Topic: Obituaries for 2024  (Read 22616 times)

Offline Lando Lincoln

Re: Obituaries for 2024
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2024, 03:12:18 pm »
RIP Mr. Keith.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2024, 03:12:43 pm »

RIP sir. Thanks for the music, and standing up for this country and soldiers in song, and not backing down from all the flak.
The Republic is lost.

Offline verga

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2024, 03:45:07 pm »
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2024, 03:47:05 pm »
Thanks for sharing.  I'm not that familiar with his music, but that was really a nice song.

Radio station that I listen to played that song this morning. To me it had the same feel as Johnny Cash's "Hurt": a dying man knowing the end is coming, but still trying to fight it. Very sad.
Let it burn.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2024, 04:10:53 pm »
He was a patriot. Lots of stories out there about his support for our soldiers.

https://twitter.com/calbanks_euhoun/status/1754846311105417661

RIP Toby Kieth.  :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

I have tears after watching this. I've heard this song numerous times but this video really touched me enough more so now than it ever has realizing the enormous sacrifices our military has made only to have our gov't tear apart our Republic with corruption from within. 8888crybaby
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 04:11:47 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2024, 04:15:05 pm »
I had read not to long ago that he was doing well so this came as a shock to me. RIP Toby.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2024, 06:21:05 pm »
RIP Toby Kieth.  :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

I have tears after watching this. I've heard this song numerous times but this video really touched me enough more so now than it ever has realizing the enormous sacrifices our military has made only to have our gov't tear apart our Republic with corruption from within. 8888crybaby

I remember how triggered the liberal snowflakes were when he released this song.  Piss on them then and even more now!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2024, 06:33:43 pm »
Thanks for sharing.  I'm not that familiar with his music, but that was really a nice song.
I bet you know this song of his, even if you didn't associate his name with it, it resonated with how Americans felt at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruNrdmjcNTc

RIP Toby :0001: and thank you for the music

Offline libertybele

« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2024, 06:39:57 pm »
I remember how triggered the liberal snowflakes were when he released this song.  Piss on them then and even more now!
Amen!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2024, 11:26:07 pm »
I had not heard that song before.

Seriously?  What the hell were you listening too back then? 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2024, 01:00:18 am »
R.I.P. Mr. Keith, and thanks from the grateful in this country. :patriot:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 01:34:07 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2024, 01:48:31 am »
Rock, easy listening, classical, pretty much anything BUT country.

I enjoy Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Rock 'n Roll, Blues, Classical (mostly piano) Country, not especially thrilled with rap; I listen to just about anything other than Jazz.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2024, 01:51:08 am »
Bob Edwards, longtime public radio host, dies at 76

From 1979 to 2004, Edwards was the host of Morning Edition, NPR's morning drive time show, becoming one of radio's most-listened-to personalities of the era. After being controversially forced out of his position, he accepted a job in satellite radio, hosting a similarly themed morning newsmagazine, which ran until 2014 with highlights being syndicated to public radio affiliates as Bob Edwards Weekend.

Edwards died February 10.

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/12/165681524/bob-edwards-dead-npr-host

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2024, 02:48:34 am »
So why was Edwards "controversially forced out of his position"?  The obit throws that out there but doesn't elaborate, which is annoying.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2024, 09:33:07 pm »
So why was Edwards "controversially forced out of his position"?  The obit throws that out there but doesn't elaborate, which is annoying.
The general opinion is that NPR pulled a demographic move. Edwards was still popular—he had more listeners than Howard Stern in the same time slot if that gives you any idea—but NPR decided they didn't like being tied to him. So they pulled a "rubber room" strategy: they didn't fire him, but they gave the hosting duties to two younger anchors and reassigned him to a much smaller "correspondent" role, forcing him to quit.

He didn't do anything wrong. The controversy came when NPR fans (yes, they exist) got upset. But, because it was morning drive and NPR is pretty much the only show of its kind, the listeners stayed. Edwards got a gig at satellite radio and stayed there for the next decade until he got to retire on his terms.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2024, 02:02:43 pm »
A moment of silence, please.
William ‘Bill’ Post, inventor of Pop-Tarts, dead at 96
By Social Links for Allie Griffin
Published Feb. 14, 2024, 1:57 a.m. ET

William “Bill” Post — the man who created the beloved toaster treat Pop-Tarts — died on Saturday, his family announced. He was 96.

Post, a Michigan native and son of immigrants who worked his way up from a truck washer to a senior vice president, brightened millions of Americans’ mornings with the sweet pastry that hit the shelves in 1964.

The great-grandfather is often credited with inventing the breakfast treat, though he would always say it was a team effort, according to his obituary.  ...
More at NY Post (no relation)
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2024, 03:38:45 pm »
A moment of silence, please.More at NY Post (no relation)

My Father worked at Kellogg's in Battle Creek for years, and we got some of the first ones in a market test.  Pop Tarts took off almost immediately.  I still eat them now and then....

We got Froot Loops that way too. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2024, 04:25:47 pm »
The general opinion is that NPR pulled a demographic move. Edwards was still popular—he had more listeners than Howard Stern in the same time slot if that gives you any idea—but NPR decided they didn't like being tied to him. So they pulled a "rubber room" strategy: they didn't fire him, but they gave the hosting duties to two younger anchors and reassigned him to a much smaller "correspondent" role, forcing him to quit.

He didn't do anything wrong. The controversy came when NPR fans (yes, they exist) got upset. But, because it was morning drive and NPR is pretty much the only show of its kind, the listeners stayed. Edwards got a gig at satellite radio and stayed there for the next decade until he got to retire on his terms.

Thanks!
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2024, 04:56:51 pm »
My Father worked at Kellogg's in Battle Creek for years, and we got some of the first ones in a market test.  Pop Tarts took off almost immediately.  I still eat them now and then....
Every once in a while, I get a real hankerin' for a Pop Tart. Doesn't even matter whether it's frosted. :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2024, 03:01:13 pm »
Don Gullett, Reds HOF pitcher for Cincinnati Big Red Machine dies at 73

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/baseball/reds/don-gullett-hofer-and-pitcher-for-the-big-red-machine-dies-at-73
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 03:06:14 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2024, 03:39:07 pm »
Don Gullett, Reds HOF pitcher for Cincinnati Big Red Machine dies at 73

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/baseball/reds/don-gullett-hofer-and-pitcher-for-the-big-red-machine-dies-at-73

He reported for Spring Training to a Higher Authority.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2024, 11:51:13 pm »
David Libert, whose musical exploits ranged from The Happenings to Alice Cooper, dies at 81

Libert began his career as a founding member of The Happenings, the group led by vocalist Bob Miranda to this very day that was one of the most successful cover bands in American history. The Libert/Miranda formula involved injecting previous hit songs with a New Jersey pop sound (so much so that another more famous New Jersey pop band, The Four Seasons, would later poach The Happenings' guitarist John Paiva).

Libert left The Happenings in 1970 as its chart success had waned to enter the music management business, managing bands such as The Rare Earth and the original Alice Cooper Band and serving as an agent for Parliament-Funkadelic and The Runaways.

https://bestclassicbands.com/david-libert-obituary-happenings-alice-cooper-2-20-24/
(note: this link apparently has a sketchy ad redirecting to a fake malware alert but it's the only one I can find right now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDKIs0v120s

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2024, 12:50:26 am »