Author Topic: The Path to a ‘Dormant NATO’  (Read 191 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Path to a ‘Dormant NATO’
« on: December 31, 2023, 06:16:07 pm »
The Path to a ‘Dormant NATO’
The United States must set a clear timeline for Europe to assume the burdens of its own defense.

Sumantra Maitra
Dec 29, 2023

As of late, I have gained some notoriety in my admittedly niche and nerdy foreign policy circles. It all started with a Rolling Stone essay that argued that one of my obscure research briefs about reforming NATO has made it to the future Republican administration’s inner circle of debate.

“Trump’s idea reflects some of the arguments laid out in a policy brief, published in February by researcher and conservative writer Dr. Sumantra Maitra, titled ‘Pivoting the US Away from Europe to a Dormant NATO’,” the Rolling Stone essay said, adding, “Sources familiar with the matter say that this paper indeed circulated within Trump’s immediate circle earlier this year. ‘There were some ideas in it that the [former] president liked,’ says a former Trump administration official who remains in close contact with the 2024 campaign.”

The New York Times reported on it, citing Constanze Stelzenmüller, director of the Center on the United States and Europe at Brookings, who is worried about the second Trump administration’s position on NATO; followed by the Financial Times. All of them mentioned the concept “Dormant NATO” by name, without explaining it much. Here’s Sylvie Kaufmann at the Financial Times: “Trump-aligned think-tanks advising the US to pivot away from Europe and promoting the concept of a ‘dormant Nato’ have finally inspired brainstorming in Brussels about reinforcing the European pillar of the alliance. ‘Dormant Nato’ should be a wake-up call for Europe. There are only 11 months left.”

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/the-path-to-a-dormant-nato/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: The Path to a ‘Dormant NATO’
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 06:18:28 pm »
Europe has had to defend itself since WWI so most likely see a need now as long as the US is willing to send it's young people to take care of them.  You know French Army rifle sales on the internet are big business.  They've never been fired and dropped just once.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson