Author Topic: How many vets will be in Congress after the election?  (Read 191 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How many vets will be in Congress after the election?
« on: December 31, 2023, 06:03:41 pm »
How many vets will be in Congress after the election?
By Leo Shane III
 Dec 31, 09:29 AM

Congress hasn’t had at least 100 members of the House and Senate with military backgrounds since 2017. But the veterans caucus in the legislature right now is close enough to challenge that mark in the 2024 elections.

The number of veterans in Congress has steadily declined since the 1970s, a shift which mostly reflects the change to the all-volunteer force and the dwindling number of Americans who enlist annually.

But veterans advocates have worried that decline has also taken away valuable insight for lawmakers as they craft national security policy, veterans support plans and defense budget proposals.

In 1973, the total number of veterans serving in House and Senate seats was 401 — 75% of all the seats in both chambers. By 1995, that number was down to 213 seats. It dropped below 100 for the first time in 2013.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2023/12/31/how-many-vets-will-be-in-congress-after-the-election/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: How many vets will be in Congress after the election?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 06:04:56 pm »
I would say rate of rise in military wokeness is roughly the inverse of the decline of veterans in the politburo. :pondering:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 06:06:53 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson