Author Topic: Navy Medal of Honor Recipient Laid to Rest at Arlington  (Read 184 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy Medal of Honor Recipient Laid to Rest at Arlington
« on: December 30, 2023, 03:42:27 pm »
Navy Medal of Honor Recipient Laid to Rest at Arlington
21 December 2023

ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY — Distinguished World War II Veteran and Medal of Honor recipient Seaman 1st Class James Richard Ward was laid to rest with the solemnity befitting his heroism in a ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery, Dec. 21, 2023.

Ward, from Springfield, Ohio, was accorded full military honors, ensuring his enduring legacy as a symbol of valor and sacrifice.

“Today is one that will stay with our family. My mom and grandparents would be pleased with this honor of James,” said Richard Hanna, nephew of Ward. “We should all honor those who have served and are serving at home and abroad.”

Ward was assigned to USS Oklahoma (BB 37) when it was sunk during the attack on Pearl Harbor Dec. 7, 1941. He was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for remaining onboard and guiding his shipmates to safety with a flashlight.

https://www.navy.mil/Press-Office/Press-Releases/display-pressreleases/Article/3623928/navy-medal-of-honor-recipient-laid-to-rest-at-arlington/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Navy Medal of Honor Recipient Laid to Rest at Arlington
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 03:43:07 pm »
 :patriot:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson