Author Topic: Ticket to Nicaragua: African, Asian migrants seek shortcut to US  (Read 169 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Ticket to Nicaragua: African, Asian migrants seek shortcut to US
« on: December 30, 2023, 02:04:11 pm »

Ticket to Nicaragua: African, Asian migrants seek shortcut to US
Story by AFP  •
12h

Nicaragua has become a hot spot for migrants from around the world seeking to avoid a brutal trek through the Darien Gap jungle -- including the 303 Indians whose plane was grounded last week in France on their way to the Central American nation.

Migrants from South American and Caribbean countries, Africa and Asia, have long had to brave the lawless, virtually impassable rainforest that straddles Panama and Colombia, in a bid to reach the United States.

However, analysts say that the government of Nicaragua's iron-fisted President Daniel Ortega, a longtime nemesis of the United States, has deliberately made it easier for migrants to bypass the Darien by flying straight to his country before heading north overland.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ticket-to-nicaragua-african-asian-migrants-seek-shortcut-to-us/ar-AA1mdHA4?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e08e6b2d15484eefa7f5aa557b4d3356&ei=64
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson