Author Topic: DEI Matters, But Only If Less, And Inferior, Science Is The Goal  (Read 284 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
DEI Matters, But Only If Less, And Inferior, Science Is The Goal
« on: December 29, 2023, 04:42:21 pm »
December 29, 2023
DEI Matters, But Only If Less, And Inferior, Science Is The Goal
By Thomas J. Bruno

I have often written about my experiences as a scientist in a federal research lab and my years leading a group of other scientists. When I began my career 40+ years ago, the staffing was mostly (but not all) male and white, and mostly competent. I say mostly competent, because there was certainly a small collection of low energy, retired-in-place (mostly white male) goof-offs who we all wished would depart. There were always attempts to increase recruitment of minorities and women, but “grow your own” was ultimately the only approach that was barely workable

To illustrate the ham-fisted early efforts, I relate a story circa 1990; the local university was graduating a young, impressive guy with a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering (thesis and published research focused on mechanical and personnel operations in low gravity). My agency scheduled a day-and-a-half of interviews with all the supervisors, not because he was a potential Nobel prize winner, but because he was black. We had to give him a good experience and if at all possible, a job offer. 

My problem was that I led a chemistry research group; my knowledge about low gravity was from Hollywood. And probably the only chemistry he knew was from high school. Nevertheless, I was told my interview was to end with my (disingenuous) promise that I would do my damnedest to find him a place in my group. 

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2023/12/dei_matters_but_only_if_less_and_inferior_science_is_the_goal.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: DEI Matters, But Only If Less, And Inferior, Science Is The Goal
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 12:08:03 am »
"DEI Matters, But Only If Less, And Inferior, Science Is The Goal"

Meh.
That's not "the goal".
The goal is more control -- over you.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: DEI Matters, But Only If Less, And Inferior, Science Is The Goal
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 01:32:13 pm »
The goal is more control -- over you.

EXACTAMUNDO!!
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson