Author Topic: Mexico emerges as Biden’s immigration Hail Mary  (Read 202 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Mexico emerges as Biden’s immigration Hail Mary
« on: December 30, 2023, 01:27:28 pm »

Mexico emerges as Biden’s immigration Hail Mary
© Provided by The Hill

The Biden administration is leaning on Mexico to help reduce the number of migrants showing up at the southern border in the face of few and unpalatable policy options stateside.

The White House’s push is straining relations with Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, who played a key role in implementing former President Trump’s most stringent border policies under threat of tariffs.

López Obrador, who met in Mexico City this week with Secretary of State Antony Blinken, Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas and homeland security adviser Liz Sherwood-Randall, is negotiating from a position of strength because border security has grown into a major U.S. electoral issue ahead of 2024.

“[President Biden] is definitely hoping that Mexico will do something that pushes the numbers down for a few months at least,” said Adam Isacson, director of defense oversight at the Washington Office on Latin America.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mexico-emerges-as-biden-s-immigration-hail-mary/ar-AA1mdD1u?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=18ce81c9407e4d5abf4042c450e78014&ei=11
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Mexico emerges as Biden’s immigration Hail Mary
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 01:29:08 pm »
 :bsflag:  Biden can't really believe this nonsense, can he?  This a propaganda piece and nothing more.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson