Author Topic: Armor: M2 IFV More Useful Than a Tank  (Read 196 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Armor: M2 IFV More Useful Than a Tank
« on: December 29, 2023, 03:30:17 pm »

Armor: M2 IFV More Useful Than a Tank

December 29, 2023: The United States has sent Ukraine over a hundred 30-ton M2 IFVs (Infantry fighting vehicles). These arrived in early 2023 and were armed with a 25mm autocannon and two TOW ATGMs (Anti-Tank Guided Missile) launchers as well as a coaxial (with the autocannon) 7.62mm machine-gun. M2 has a crew consisting of a driver, gunner, and vehicle commander. The M2 can also carry six infantrymen in the back, or nearly a ton of cargo

The M2s proved very effective in combat. Their night vision equipment enabled them to operate effectively at night and ambush Russian vehicles or infantry seeking to move under cover of darkness. The Russians appear to have ignored the fact that most of the armored vehicles Ukraine receives from NATO countries have night vision capability. In theory, this severely restricts Russian mobility. If there is heavy fog, especially at night, the Russians can move safely, although slowly.

The M2s are more mobile than a tank and their 25mm autocannon is more effective against infantry and light armored vehicles than the main gun of a tank. Moreover, tanks only carry a few dozen shells for their 125mm main gun compared to 600 or more 25mm shells on the M2. Ukrainian forces use their M2s frequently and nearly 20 percent of them have been lost in combat. One M2 was captured intact by the Russians, who had never had possession of an intact M2 before. Russian technical exports are examining the M2 in detail to so if they can find any unknown, to them, weaknesses.

https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htarm/articles/20231229.aspx
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Armor: M2 IFV More Useful Than a Tank
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 03:32:05 pm »

M2 IFV More Useful Than a Tank

I don't know if it is or isn't, but the article is certainly good propaganda. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson