Author Topic: Nikki Haley slammed for not mentioning ‘slavery’ as cause of the Civil War in ‘word salad’ answer du  (Read 6519 times)

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I almost hate to post this, but: 
Misleading Causes of the American Civil War, Posted on December 30, 2023 by Scott Malensek
at Flopping Aces.

Why would you hate to post this very even-handed article full of actual HISTORY? @mountaineer

Everyone should read it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Don't forget Article IV, Sec 3.

Why would anyone pay any attention to the actual words of that? /S @Hoodat

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

Why would you hate to post this very even-handed article full of actual HISTORY?
I just hate to contribute to the neverending Civil War debate. It was an interesting essay, though.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

I just hate to contribute to the neverending Civil War debate. It was an interesting essay, though.
It is good, and accurate. It does fail to mention how the northern railroad magnates proposed building railroad bridges across the Mississippi River which would have been low enough to stop steamboat shipping from going upriver, effectively establishing a monopoly on shipping (another issue of the 1830s which prompted Calhoun to raise hell).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Why would you hate to post this very even-handed article full of actual HISTORY? @mountaineer

Everyone should read it!

I certainly agree with (most of) the summary of the article:

African Americans studying African American culture will think it was all about African Americans and slavery. Clearly, like all wars, it had many reasons and many lessons. Blaming it all on slavery ignores those lessons which as we see a candidate blocked from ballots-are increasingly important today.

I don't think the comment should be limited just to African-Americans, but I agree that all of the blame shouldn't go to slavery.  Just most of it.   I can read the declarations of secession.  South Carolina was wildly upfront about it being about slavery, and so were most of the other states that seceded.

That is NOT the same thing as saying that is why individual Southernors fought.  But when the elected representatives of the voters pass a bill of secession in which they say why they are voting to secede, and it is mostly about slavery, that is a pretty big hurdle to overcome.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I certainly agree with (most of) the summary of the article:

I don't think the comment should be limited just to African-Americans, but I agree that all of the blame shouldn't go to slavery.  Just most of it.   I can read the declarations of secession.  South Carolina was wildly upfront about it being about slavery, and so were most of the other states that seceded.

That is NOT the same thing as saying that is why individual Southernors fought.  But when the elected representatives of the voters pass a bill of secession in which they say why they are voting to secede, and it is mostly about slavery, that is a pretty big hurdle to overcome.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Well,it would certainly not be much of a stretch to make that claim when it comes to the reasons the North invaded the south.

The truth is the northern industrialists wanted slavery in the south ended (there was also slavery in the north,but you never hear about that anymore) in order to bankrupt the largest land owners in the south so they could buy  up their property for
any back taxes that would come due.

They also wanted the southern slaves "freed" in order to be able to hire them to work in their sweat shops because the American workers and the recent immigrants working in their sweat shops were getting uppity about low wages,long hours,and in some cases,company stores being the only places they could spend their wages.

You can never go wrong when you start following the Benjamins.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline libertybele

I for one find the article enlightening.  There isn't much difference in age between my hubby and I, but when I asked him about the cause of the Civil War, his answer was more about economics; I was taught it was about slavery.  I'm concluding that history was being rewritten even back then to accommodate an agenda.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 11:50:07 pm by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Again, I ask: what does any of that **** have to do with the many crises facing America in 2024? To get slogged down into pedantic arguments about the mid-19th century isn't going to help our cost of living/cost of government and birth rate crises.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

Again, I ask: what does any of that **** have to do with the many crises facing America in 2024? To get slogged down into pedantic arguments about the mid-19th century isn't going to help our cost of living/cost of government and birth rate crises.

Not it won't help with the cost of living but there are parallels as to what happened back then to what is happening today. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Whether or not you EVER realize it the answer to that question is everything!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

Yes, we should know the truth about the Civil War. I just don't see why it was necessary or appropriate to ask Haley about it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Some theads anound the WBTS at the TOS lasted longer than the war itself.    My POV on Southern Heritiage isn't going to change, so why bother to engage.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Some theads anound the WBTS at the TOS lasted longer than the war itself.    My POV on Southern Heritiage isn't going to change, so why bother to engage.

Maybe I'm a committee of one at this point, but I consider knowledge of our HONEST history to be hugely important going forward.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

Maybe I'm a committee of one at this point, but I consider knowledge of our HONEST history to be hugely important going forward.
There is no point in studying flawed and 'sanitized' oversimplified history if you are going to try to learn anything that will prevent its repetition. Conclusions drawn will be missing evidence and data and will be deeply flawed.

It is like trying to engineer a bridge with incorrect materials specifications.

C S Lewis

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

@Bigun

You're not alone!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
One would think that a politician of her experience would know better than to fall into the usual U.S. history trap, designed to trip Republicans up on race and slavery.  But no, apparently Haley can't think that fast on her feet....so thus we get this mess of a word salad out of her.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
One would think that a politician of her experience would know better than to fall into the usual U.S. history trap, designed to trip Republicans up on race and slavery.  But no, apparently Haley can't think that fast on her feet....so thus we get this mess of a word salad out of her.

Read/heard somewhere, this wasn't her first 'rodeo' on the topic.

No matter.  In any event she becomes the GOP Nominee, I'll vote for her.

Hell, I'll vote for Tommy DeVito over any DEM.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Read/heard somewhere, this wasn't her first 'rodeo' on the topic.

No, she was in fact the one who started this whole Confederacy cancellation movement when she ordered the removal of a Sons of Confederate memorial and battle flag from the South Carolina statehouse grounds, just to pander to blacks.

Flashback:

The Role Nikki Haley’s 2015 Decision to Remove the Confederate Flag Could Play in Her Presidential Run

https://time.com/6255503/nikki-haley-2024-confederate-flag/

A former Trump Administration official says questions about the Confederate flag no longer divide the party and candidates shouldn’t attack Haley on the decision. “I don’t think Trump is going to attack her for that,” the former official says. But the official suggests that Haley could be vulnerable on cultural and racial issues, including attacks portraying her as liberal on the Black Lives Matter movement. Haley herself touched on those controversies in her announcement video. “Some think our ideas are not just wrong, but racist and evil,” she says over clips depicting racial justice protests. “Nothing could be further from the truth.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njuVdGZlZbc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpfEzZUFWfY
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 04:47:47 pm by Timber Rattler »
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

No one has fought more than me against the woke attacks on the legacy of  confederate soldiers, and those of us who want to honor that service.  My point of being a tireless defender of southern heritiage, and protecting our ancestors legacy has with even with my efforts resulted in zero converts.  I am at the point now, why bother. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 06:40:57 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
No one has fought more than me against the woke attacks on the legacy of  confederate soldiers, and those of us who want to honor that service.  My point of being a tireless defender of southern heritiage, and protecting our ancestors legacy has even with my efforts resulted in zero coverts.  I am at the point now, why bother.

I think it is worth pointing out that saying that slavery was the biggest cause is not at all the same thing as saying that those who fought were motivated by a desire to defend slavery.

The cause of World War I was the assassination of Archduke Frantz Ferdinand, but the soldiers who fought in the various armies didn't give two craps about that.

Just wanted to make that clear.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
I think it is worth pointing out that saying that slavery was the biggest cause is not at all the same thing as saying that those who fought were motivated by a desire to defend slavery.

The cause of World War I was the assassination of Archduke Frantz Ferdinand, but the soldiers who fought in the various armies didn't give two craps about that.

Just wanted to make that clear.

You'd be shocked how many times I've been called a racist (esp. in my wife's Yankee land climes) for defending these soldiers, and most being non-slave holders who saw an invading army trying to destroy their way of life.

And a big shout out to the wet noodles who run the SCV.  Their cowardice in this assault has been downright embarassing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 05:55:48 pm by catfish1957 »