Author Topic: Nikki Haley slammed for not mentioning ‘slavery’ as cause of the Civil War in ‘word salad’ answer du  (Read 6364 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Nikki Haley might be the last person I would want to defend, but let's not forget she's a first generation American born Indian.

She iikely doesn't have the family history or interest most of us have on the matter.  Most of our lives were shaped by what happend 1861-1865.

@catfish1957

Good point!

It also,by definition highlights  why "newcomers" to America should not run  for political office. They just don't have the background to understand what happened and why it happened.

It is necessary to be able to recognize  and understand mistakes in order to  prevent  yourself from making those same mistakes.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Sure, slavery was an issue, and a contentious one. But no one got killed until the armies of Pennsylvania and Massachusetts invaded Maryland, and Maryland had not seceded--nor did it have an antebellum vote on such a measure.  That did not stop the citizens of Baltimore from prying up paving stones and throwing them at invading troops who fired on the civilians, killing eight, and four soldiers were dead before the crowd was brought under control. Those four soldiers were the first KIA of the War. At that point, and from Mananas on, the issue was one of Northern invasion and defense of the South (Lee's foray into Union Territory was an offensive result of repeated hostilities brought upon the South), territorially and economically (against the blockades).

Had slavery been the seminal issue, Lincoln would have proclaimed the slaves free at the onset, and the slaves in Maryland would not have been held in servitude until after the war (MD was not "a state in rebellion", as it had not seceded, and thus was not within the criteria of the Emancipation Proclamation. )

Nikki's answer did not even fit the Fable 101 taught as History in schools.

To run for the highest office in the Republic and not have basic understanding of our Civil War ingrained in your psyche...I'd like to thank that "plant" for the question.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

To run for the highest office in the Republic and not have basic understanding of our Civil War ingrained in your psyche...I'd like to thank that "plant" for the question.

:thumbsup:

Offline berdie

I'm not a Nikki fan, however, I am having a hard time understanding why this question was even asked. :shrug:

I really don't blame her for taking the middle road.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Has trump ever been asked this?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Sure, slavery was an issue, and a contentious one. But no one got killed until the armies of Pennsylvania and Massachusetts invaded Maryland, and Maryland had not seceded--nor did it have an antebellum vote on such a measure.  That did not stop the citizens of Baltimore from prying up paving stones and throwing them at invading troops who fired on the civilians, killing eight, and four soldiers were dead before the crowd was brought under control. Those four soldiers were the first KIA of the War. At that point, and from Manassas on, the issue was one of Northern invasion and defense of the South (Lee's foray into Union Territory was an offensive result of repeated hostilities brought upon the South), territorially and economically (against the blockades).

Had slavery been the seminal issue, Lincoln would have proclaimed the slaves free at the onset, and the slaves in Maryland would not have been held in servitude until after the war (MD was not "a state in rebellion", as it had not seceded, and thus was not within the criteria of the Emancipation Proclamation. )

Nikki's answer did not even fit the Fable 101 taught as History in schools.

:yowsa: Exactly correct on all points!  pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

And I will gladly join you in that! @DCPatriot

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Has trump ever been asked this?

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

I dunno.

He lives in your head 24/7,so why not just ask him?

Offline DCPatriot

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline NavyCanDo

Almost like the reporter knew she wouldn't or couldn't include slavery, or more accurately the expansion of slavery into the western territories and states as a cause.   She took the bait with results better than expected.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I'm not a Nikki fan, however, I am having a hard time understanding why this question was even asked. :shrug:

I really don't blame her for taking the middle road.

Yep...

Good thing the MSM doesn't ask me.  They may not like my answer.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

I dunno.

He lives in your head 24/7,so why not just ask him?

lol

You sure take offense when somebody questions your God
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

WTF is asking about the Civil War in a town hall?

Especially in late 2023 going into 2024
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Especially in late 2023 going into 2024
Just laying groundwork to ask about "reparations".
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DCPatriot

lol

We take offense whenever some of you exhibit acute TDS and bring him into a thread where he doesn't belong.

@jmyrlefuller  is trolling again.

Offline LMAO

We take offense whenever some of you exhibit acute TDS and bring him into a thread where he doesn't belong.

You probably don’t realize this, but Trump is also running for president. The poster who asked if Trump has been asked this question about the Civil War also asked if Biden has also been asked.

It’s a stupid question that has nothing to do with what we face in 2023 going into 2024. And even though Nikki Haley botched the answer, what was the purpose of even asking her that and why was she singled out for the question?

Barry Goldwater

Offline Smokin Joe

You probably don’t realize this, but Trump is also running for president. The poster who asked if Trump has been asked this question about the Civil War also asked if Biden has also been asked.

It’s a stupid question that has nothing to do with what we face in 2023 going into 2024. And even though Nikki Haley botched the answer, what was the purpose of even asking her that and why was she singled out for the question?
The question works for me.
It's a Litmus test.

Even just saying "It's complicated" would have been better and implied a greater knowledge on the subject, a seminal part of American History well after the Founding Era.

Is she knowledgeable about the Constitution, or equally unable to answer questions about that? How can she swear to protect and defend something she is not familiar with?

If you don't know your past, it gets harder to plot your future.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

I haven't said a word about this topic. Mainly because others have pointed out the obvious that a pop quiz on "what caused a war 160 years ago" is a stupid question.

If you mean the fact that Melania disappeared from Trump family pictures while her erstwhile husband cavorts with his hot attorney... that's a topic for that thread.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I haven't said a word about this topic. Mainly because others have pointed out the obvious that a pop quiz on "what caused a war 160 years ago" is a stupid question.

What is even more stupid is blindly accepting the BS you have been fed about an event that fundamentally changed the character of the USA.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

@LMAO

You're right!  I'm wrong.  @jmyrlefuller   I apologize. 

****slapping
NT assaulting DCP

:laugh:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I guess I don't see this question as an ambush or gotcha question because I don't think anyone would have predicted she'd have given such a nonsensical answer.  My guess is that the person who asked the question was as shocked by her answer as anyone.

So why ask it?  Well, there has been all sorts of talk about how divided the country is, splitting into "red" and "blue" America, etc.  so maybe it was a question intended to draw an analogy, or have her answer what the likelihood might be of history repeating itself.

Not a great question, but I honestly think her answer could not have been predicted.

Offline Smokin Joe

I guess I don't see this question as an ambush or gotcha question because I don't think anyone would have predicted she'd have given such a nonsensical answer.  My guess is that the person who asked the question was as shocked by her answer as anyone.

So why ask it?  Well, there has been all sorts of talk about how divided the country is, splitting into "red" and "blue" America, etc.  so maybe it was a question intended to draw an analogy, or have her answer what the likelihood might be of history repeating itself.

Not a great question, but I honestly think her answer could not have been predicted.
Not predicted, but even the Fable would have been widely accepted, because the Fable is. A seriously historically accurate answer would have taken levels of knowledge and a lot more time than she had available. Her answer, however speaks volumes. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it, not that the Fable would be any help.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
lol

@LMAO

He's YOUR "God",not mine. He is only your mind every minute of every day.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@LMAO

I am GUESSING that it was strictly a "Gotcha!" question,asked in order to make her look stupid and racist.

IOW,it was a political question,asked to harm her campaign rather  than inform.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Maj. Bill Martin

HorseHillary!

It was a "trick question",in that there IS no "One Correct Answer". To properly answer it would take hours,and even then the subject is so complex that there is no "One True Answer" that everyone would agree with.

There is "the black POV",the White southern POV,and the white northern POV,and even after all these years there is no agreement. Not even on who started it.