Author Topic: Democrats Prepare for Convention of Regret (Have they really settled for Biden and Chicago?  (Read 165 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Democrats Prepare for Convention of Regret (Have they really settled for Biden and Chicago?) – WSJ
December 27, 2023 by Barrington Hills Observer

By James Freeman | The Wall Street Journal

Festivus has its airing of grievances and the 2024 Democratic National Convention in August may feature the wailing of self-reproach. Some readers may be imagining the intrigue as ambivalent delegates wonder if they really have to nominate Joe Biden for president again. Others may puzzle over Democrats’ decision to gather in Chicago, a violent and expensive monument to the failures of progressive governance. But the choice of venue is even worse than many realize and seems bound to inspire a rush of regret. A series of events will serve to highlight not just Democratic dysfunction but corruption as well.

Democrats have dominated Chicago politics for close to a century, and the results are not improving with time. Last week the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Illinois announced:

A federal jury today convicted former City of Chicago Alderman EDWARD M. BURKE on racketeering, bribery, and extortion charges for allegedly abusing his position while an alderman to solicit and extort private legal work and other benefits from companies and individuals with business before the city.

Burke, 79, of Chicago, was found guilty on 13 counts: racketeering; corruptly soliciting, demanding, accepting, or agreeing to accept things of value; using an interstate facility to promote unlawful activity; and attempted extortion…

The racketeering and extortion counts are punishable by up to 20 years in federal prison. The counts for corruptly soliciting and accepting things of value are punishable by up to ten years,

https://barringtonhillsobserver.com/2023/12/27/democrats-prepare-for-convention-of-regret-have-they-really-settled-for-biden-and-chicago-wsj/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson