Author Topic: Aging U.S. Ready Reserve Fleet in Need of a Big Boost  (Read 177 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Aging U.S. Ready Reserve Fleet in Need of a Big Boost
« on: December 23, 2023, 01:09:03 pm »
Aging U.S. Ready Reserve Fleet in Need of a Big Boost
PUBLISHED DECEMBER 19, 2023
@ 3:17 PM

By Steven Wills
The U.S. Ready Reserve Fleet (RRF) of cargo and fuel ships that move military gear around the world when needed for a conflict is in serious need of an upgrade. The fleet is aging and generally not ready for war.

Its job description doesn’t match its current condition. A component of the U.S. Maritime Administration (MARAD), the RRF is supposed to provide “transport of Army and Marine Corps unit equipment, combat support equipment and initial resupply during critical surge periods — the period of time before commercial ships can be secured for similar support.”’

As the first line of action for ships tapped to move military cargo in wartime conditions, the readiness of these ships to move is of vital national security importance. The challenge with this fleet of reserve fuel and cargo carriers is that they are all very old, and many need immediate replacement with younger, more flexible vessels.

https://defenseopinion.com/aging-u-s-ready-reserve-fleet-in-need-of-a-big-boost/494/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson