Author Topic: Democrats will regret their pyrrhic legal victory against Trump  (Read 1848 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Democrats will regret their pyrrhic legal victory against Trump 
by Keith Naughton, opinion contributor - 12/22/23 8:15 AM ET
Everywhere or nowhere. Donald Trump should be either eligible to be on the presidential ballot in all 50 states or he is disqualified. 

Either the 14th Amendment is applicable to the former president or it is not. The United States is not an opt-out confederation — an issue decided by the Civil War. Fortunately, the narrowly decided Colorado ballot decision will likely be heard by the Supreme Court, which will hopefully make a final decision.

It’s worth noting that the 14th Amendment was ratified in the wake of the Civil War, when elected federal officeholders and serving military officers formed an alternate government, raised armies and fought a bloody war to permanently detach their states from the Union. To equate the ragtag, freakshow riot of Jan. 6, 2021, and Trump’s convoluted pleading with Mike Pence and his slippery rhetoric with what originally spawned the insurrection clause in the Constitution is patently ridiculous.

morehttps://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/4372532-democrats-will-regret-their-pyrrhic-legal-victory-against-trump/

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
Re: Democrats will regret their pyrrhic legal victory against Trump
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2023, 02:25:59 pm »
Most amazing is the fact that Trump not only did not initiate a "insurrection", but was quoted directly to say "March Peaceably to the Capitol".

How the CO court was able construe into said insurrection is not only laughable, but down right has proof otherwise.  These twisted partisan F__s are getting laughed at enmasse in the legal profession. Would love to know the real truth of how and why they voted that way.  And I'd bet good money, that ethics were comprimised.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 04:06:03 pm »
Most amazing is the fact that Trump not only did not initiate a "insurrection", but was quoted directly to say "March Peaceably to the Capitol".

How the CO court was able construe into said insurrection is not only laughable, but down right has proof otherwise.  These twisted partisan F__s are getting laughed at enmasse in the legal profession. Would love to know the real truth of how and why they voted that way.  And I'd bet good money, that ethics were comprimised.

I hadn't really looked into this until recently, and I don't believe there was an insurrection period.  But the "march peaceably" line was said early on in that speech, never repeated, and followed by some pretty inflammatory language.  I would expect a lot of folks there at the time would have forgotten it was said at all until reminded of it later. 

It was an irresponsible speech, but not insurrectionist.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 04:55:17 pm »

@catfish1957

I see nothing to  laugh about. The left wouldn't be doing this if they thought they couldn't get away with it.

And sadly,they are probably right.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 05:52:32 pm »
People with law degrees have many more words, and can perform greater logical gymnastics, to provide justification for wrong behavior.

What Trump did, and did not do, on January 6th was wrong.

One of the gravest fears of the Founding Fathers was mob rule.  He summoned a mob to DC, and set them upon the Capitol to interfere/disrupt/delay/stop a Congressional proceeding that would have put the final legal nail in his 2020 election loss coffin.

It doesn't matter what word - "insurrection" or other - is attributed to it.  Trump's behavior on January 6th was wrong.  A President of the United States should not be summoning a mob to DC to use the threat of that mob's violence to change the outcome of an election.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 07:45:27 pm »

Yes. Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing... As always.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2023, 09:23:57 pm »
I hadn't really looked into this until recently, and I don't believe there was an insurrection period.  But the "march peaceably" line was said early on in that speech, never repeated, and followed by some pretty inflammatory language.  I would expect a lot of folks there at the time would have forgotten it was said at all until reminded of it later. 

The President also released two videos on Twitter telling people to first remain peaceful ..,  and then to go home.  Many may have missed them because Twitter permanently banned the President from Twitter on Jan 8th, 2021 and blocked all his previous Tweets.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 09:29:29 pm »

One of the gravest fears of the Founding Fathers was mob rule.

Gee, I wonder why the Founding Fathers included this in the Constitution ----

First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 09:31:13 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 09:48:13 pm »
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

I am asking for everyone at the U.S. Capitol to remain peaceful. No violence! Remember, WE are the Party of Law & Order – respect the Law and our great men and women in Blue. Thank you!

3:13 PM · Jan 6, 2021

Online berdie

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2023, 11:05:05 pm »

I totally agree. I understand the intent of the 14th and spent some time researching this pm. I can't find a precedent where a Confederate was disqualified. Perhaps noone challenged  the 14th. :shrug:

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2023, 11:10:43 pm »
Yes. Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing... As always.

What of this speech @roamer_1

At Georgia rally, Pence says America will 'hear the evidence' of election fraud on Jan. 6
Yahoo, Jan 4, 2021

Vice President Mike Pence said Monday that the case for widespread election fraud would be made to the American people when Congress meets this week to certify President-elect Joe Biden’s victory over President Trump.

“We’ve all got our doubts about the last election. I share the concerns of millions of Americans about voting irregularities,” Pence said at an indoor congregation at Rock Springs Church in Milner, Ga., in support of Republican Sens. Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue in runoff elections there.

Pence, who by law will be tasked with declaring a winner of the Electoral College vote, seemed to leave open the possibility that Trump could still remain in power for a second term.

"Come this Wednesday,” he said, referring to the impending certification of election results, “we’ll have our day in Congress. We’ll hear the evidence.”

https://news.yahoo.com/at-georgia-rally-pence-says-america-will-hear-the-evidence-of-election-fraud-on-jan-6-193148658.html

Video:

https://rumble.com/embed/v31dtsx/?pub=4

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2023, 11:12:43 pm »

Note the time stamp on that Tweet---3:13 p.m.

It was way too late by that point...the riot had already been going on for hours.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2023, 11:16:06 pm »
Gee, I wonder why the Founding Fathers included this in the Constitution ----

@Right_in_Virginia

They did it to piss off the anti-Trumpers who want change by electing the same party people that helped create the mess we are in now.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2023, 11:54:24 pm »

It was way too late by that point...the riot had already been going on for hours.

If you mean the FBI sting was already in full swing .... You're probably right.

Offline roamer_1

Online LMAO

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2023, 12:25:50 am »

It doesn't matter what word - "insurrection" or other - is attributed to it.  Trump's behavior on January 6th was wrong.  A President of the United States should not be summoning a mob to DC to use the threat of that mob's violence to change the outcome of an election.

Bears repeating.

And if Hillary did this after she lost in 2016, the MAGA's would be applying a different standard
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2023, 03:12:42 am »
The President also released two videos on Twitter telling people to first remain peaceful ..,  and then to go home.  Many may have missed them because Twitter permanently banned the President from Twitter on Jan 8th, 2021 and blocked all his previous Tweets.

But he issued them late.  Even after Trump knew that protesters had broken into the Capitol, he tweeted that Pence should do the right thing.  It was only 20 or so minutes after that when he sent the first of the tweets you mentioned.

Trump acted badly/wrongly on January 6.  But not illegally.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 03:13:53 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2023, 04:43:38 am »
Fifth Amendment

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Colorado is in violation: Trump has been found guilty of no crime in criminal court.

I would further submit that the most armed demographic in America would not go forth the overthrow the government with empty hands. To wit: there was a protest, but no insurrection.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2023, 06:08:56 am »

Colorado is in violation: Trump has been found guilty of no crime in criminal court.

I would further submit that the most armed demographic in America would not go forth the overthrow the government with empty hands. To wit: there was a protest, but no insurrection.

:yowsa:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2023, 06:11:32 am »

As a point of reference, the barricades around the Capitol were breached slightly before 1:00 p.m..  Rioters forced their way inside the actual doors of the Capitol building at 2:06..