Author Topic: New Mexico WWII soldier's remains identified nearly 80 years later  (Read 143 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New Mexico WWII soldier's remains identified nearly 80 years later
The NM soldier's great niece, Sonja Dennin, described the news as 'mind-blowing'
Associated Press
Published December 21, 2023 8:13am EST

American soldiers killed in WWII honored overseas
Fox News' Bret Baier reports on the opening of the Netherlands American Cemetery on 'Special Report.'

A team of U.S. government historians and researchers has identified Army private Homer Mitchell from eastern New Mexico as a soldier who died during World War II.

Mitchell is one of nearly 160 service members accounted for in the last year as part of a longstanding effort by the federal agency.

Mitchell's family, scattered across New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas, say they will gather in Portales next spring to bury him.

After years of combing through military records and making some key deductions, a team of U.S.
government historians and researchers has finally put a name to case file X-3212, identifying an Army private from eastern New Mexico named Homer Mitchell who died during World War II.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-mexico-wwii-soldiers-remains-identified-nearly-80-years-later
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson