Author Topic: Migrant Released Into US Told to Check in With ICE 8 Years Later  (Read 196 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 Migrant Released Into US Told to Check in With ICE 8 Years Later
Story by Natalie Venegas  •
12h

Amid the growing migrant crisis, a migrant processed into the US as an asylum seeker was given a check-in date to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), in New York for eight years from today.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott, a Republican, began sending buses of migrants to Democratic-led "sanctuary cities," which protect undocumented immigrants from deportation, in 2022 amid growing frustration about a rise in encounters at the U.S.-Mexico border. There were more than 2.4 million encounters at the U.S.-Mexico border during the 2023 fiscal year, up from roughly 1.7 million in 2021, according to data from U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

Typically, migrants who are released from immigration custody are given by ICE an official court date and a mandatory check-in date and other regular appointments, to confirm the migrant is still living at the same location and that they are not a security risk. But as some sections of the border are becoming too overwhelmed with processing new arrivals, thousands of migrants have instead been given check-in dates with ICE years later.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/migrant-released-into-us-told-to-check-in-with-ice-8-years-later/ar-AA1lOp0D?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=2602b15ace734f838da4a9b361767924&ei=18
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Migrant Released Into US Told to Check in With ICE 8 Years Later
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 11:16:07 am »
Migrant Released Into US Told to Check in With ICE 8 Years Later

It's just a subtle way of saying "don't bother checking back."
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson