Author Topic: Top 10 Migration Issues of 2023  (Read 148 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Top 10 Migration Issues of 2023
« on: December 20, 2023, 02:06:34 pm »
Top 10 Migration Issues of 2023

No single defining event shaped migration in 2023 the way that the Russian invasion of Ukraine did in 2022 by dispersing millions of Ukrainians within and beyond the country’s borders, or how 2020 and 2021 were driven by a COVID-19-related shutdown of nearly all global mobility and then a gradual reopening. Instead, 2023 was defined in many ways by the long tails of those earlier shocks, as governments and others grappled with uneven economic recoveries while also facing new labor demands and increasingly protracted displacement crises. Humanitarian migration was on the rise in 2023 and migrants moved in more novel ways by seeking out second and third destinations and following cues from social media. Governments in some countries enacted innovative policies to accommodate growing movement, but political tendencies in many places leaned towards restrictionism. We take stock of these global trends in our annual list of the Top 10 migration issues of the year.

Click below to navigate to each issue:

1. New Models Emerge in Externalization of Humanitarian Protection alongside Migration Management

2. Migrants Seek Out Second and Third Destinations, in a Sign of New Movement Patterns

3. A Transformed Western Hemisphere Reckons with New Migration Reality

4. The Competition for High-Skilled Migrants Is On

5. Years after Fleeing Violence, Many Migrants Are Forced Back

6. A Turn to Temporary Statuses to Provide Protection amid Crises, but Unevenly

7. Despite Rigid External Borders, Movement Within Regions Gets Easier

8. Immigration Fears Stay at Top of Voters’ Minds

9. Amid Disasters and Rising Temperatures, a Potentially Landmark Climate Migration Policy Arrives

10. As a Tool to Support Migration, Social Media and Apps Hit Their Stride

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/programs/migration-information-source/top-10-migration-issues-2023
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson