Author Topic: Weekly Climate and Energy News Roundup #580  (Read 136 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Weekly Climate and Energy News Roundup #580
« on: December 20, 2023, 01:09:36 pm »
Weekly Climate and Energy News Roundup #580
3 hours ago Guest Blogger 
The Week That Was: 2023-12-16 (December 16, 2023)
Brought to You by SEPP (www.SEPP.org)
The Science and Environmental Policy Project

Quote of the Week: “I apologize for writing such a long letter, but I didn’t have time to write a short one.” – Mark Twain

Number of the Week: 59 degrees F

THIS WEEK:

By Ken Haapala, President, Science and Environmental Policy Project (SEPP)

Scope: The major issue discussed this week is COP 28, and comments made about it. AMO physicist Howard Hayden brings up how the IPCC defines human-caused climate change. Stephen McIntyre relates his experience as an expert reviewer of a past IPCC assessment report. Further, the role of Washington’s delegation is presented. Energy analysist Roger Caiazza discusses the importance of reliable, affordable electricity to high-tech industries.

COP 28: The 28th annual Conference of Parties for the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) is over. This is also called “Conference of the Parties” serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Paris Agreement. TWTW reviewed a number of comments on it without citing the final agreement. UK commentator David Turver cited a portion of the final agreement, prompting TWTW to search further. Article II of the final agreement begins: [Boldface added throughout]

“Collective progress towards achieving the purpose and long-term goals of the Paris Agreement, including under Article 2, paragraph 1(a–c), in the light of equity and the best available science, and informing Parties in updating and enhancing, in a nationally determined manner, action and support.”

As former participant Richard Lindzen and others have stated, the IPCC process quickly departs from the best available science and its Summaries for Policymakers and Synthesis Reports are politically contrived reports, which may be contradicted by the best available physical evidence and best available science. In the Final Report, the paragraphs are numbered, which TWTW follows.

Section A, titled Mitigation starts:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/12/20/weekly-climate-and-energy-news-roundup-580/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson