Author Topic: Fetterman says he’ll work to block ‘absolutely outrageous’ US Steel sale  (Read 584 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Fetterman says he’ll work to block ‘absolutely outrageous’ US Steel sale
by Lauren Sforza - 12/18/23 2:51 PM ET

Sen. John Fetterman (D-Pa.) vowed Monday to work to block the $14.9 billion sale of U.S. Steel Corp. to Japanese steelmaker Nippon Steel, which he described as an “outrageous” move.

The deal was announced Monday, prompting the stock prices of U.S. Steel to jump up 25 percent. Fetterman criticized the sale, saying in a post on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, that the move was “wrong for workers and wrong for Pennsylvania.”

“I’m gonna do everything I can to block it,” Fetterman wrote on X.

“I live across the street from U.S. Steel’s Edgar Thompson plant in Braddock,” Fetterman said in a statement. “It’s absolutely outrageous that U.S. Steel has agreed to sell themselves to a foreign company. Steel is always about security — both our national security and the economic security of our steel communities. I am committed to doing anything I can do, using my platform and my position, to block this foreign sale.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4366073-fetterman-says-hell-work-to-block-absolutely-outrageous-us-steel-sale/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I wish him luck.

I just can't agree with as basic and important an industry as steel being under foreign ownership (and control)...

Online kevindavis007

I wish him luck.

I just can't agree with as basic and important an industry as steel being under foreign ownership (and control)...

I don't recall Japan being our enemy as of late.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline corbe

Unions and Gov Bureaucracy brought the US Steel Industry to its knees, decades ago.   Though most of the Assets remain in the US; it's uneconomical for the Japanese to move a US Steel Plant, I still don't like it.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline DB

Unions and Gov Bureaucracy brought the US Steel Industry to its knees, decades ago.   Though most of the Assets remain in the US; it's uneconomical for the Japanese to move a US Steel Plant, I still don't like it.

The cost of energy and environmental regulation are also large costs.

Offline dfwgator

I don't recall Japan being our enemy as of late.

Japan wasn't our enemy in the early 1920s.