Author Topic: Opinion: Veterans won’t help the recruiting crisis until our issues are addressed  (Read 163 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Opinion: Veterans won’t help the recruiting crisis until our issues are addressed
Veterans aren’t going to put lipstick on a pig.

BY JENNA CARLTON | PUBLISHED DEC 1, 2023 7:20 PM EST

“How can I feel comfortable advocating for military service when so many members of our community don’t feel welcome or even have their needs met?” I asked at a recent panel titled “Changing Perceptions, Shaping Futures: Breaking Down Barriers Between Veterans and Gen Z.”

The panel’s goal was to clear up misconceptions about the military and panelists included representatives from the U.S. Army Recruiting Command, the Veterans Administration, the Military Officers Association of America, and an active sergeant in the U.S. Army.

They answered my pointed question, acknowledging the bad press the Defense Department and VA get, chalking it up to bad news always receiving more attention than the good. They encouraged veterans to help aid this issue by speaking up about the great opportunities the military has given them.

I wasn’t surprised by the media-trained answer. I did take one thing away, though: he said that we should let these organizations know how we feel. So that’s what I am doing.

Veterans aren’t going to put lipstick on a pig.

https://taskandpurpose.com/opinion/veterans-recruiting-crisis/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson