Author Topic: Space, Missile Defense, and Irregular Warfare  (Read 156 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Space, Missile Defense, and Irregular Warfare
« on: December 16, 2023, 03:15:12 pm »

Wed, 12/13/2023 - 6:01pm
Space, Missile Defense, and Irregular Warfare

By Dr. Robert Redding

Those of us of a certain age grew up thinking that the first space battles would be between units of astronauts with lasers.  However, November of 2023 saw the demonstration of Israel’s cutting-edge missile defense capabilities, when it intercepted a ballistic missile fired by Houthi rebels in Yemen with the Arrow missile defense system. This event highlights the ever-evolving landscape of irregular warfare and the significance of nation-states being prepared to fully use capstone capabilities, which were originally developed to defend against other nation-states, in safeguarding their citizens from irregular threats posed by non-state actors. This demonstrates the dual realities of irregular warfare: nations not only engage in such conflicts to gain strategic advantages over their adversaries, but they must also defend against the same tactics when used against them. For instance, Iran's deployment of proxies equipped with advanced weapons likely demands a conventional, rather than irregular, response.

The Arrow Missile Defense System
The Arrow missile defense system, developed jointly by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) and Boeing, stands as a testament to Israel's commitment to ensuring its national security in the face of constant regional threats. The Arrow system comprises multiple components, including the Arrow 2 and Arrow 3 interceptors. These systems are designed to detect, track, and destroy a wide range of incoming threats – including short-, medium-, and long-range ballistic missiles – as a critical part of Israel’s integrated air and missile defense system.

The Arrow 2 interceptor is primarily tasked with defending against short and medium-range ballistic missiles, while the Arrow 3 interceptor is designed to intercept longer-range missiles and can operate at altitudes reaching beyond the Earth's atmosphere. It is this unique capability of the Arrow 3 system that played a pivotal role in defeating the Houthi missile attack.

https://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/space-missile-defense-and-irregular-warfare
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson