Author Topic: Inside the US Army’s failed nuclear ice lair in Cold War Greenland  (Read 784 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Inside the US Army’s failed nuclear ice lair in Cold War Greenland
By Claire Barrett
 Dec 13, 12:06 PM

As Soviet ICBM tests and the launch of Sputnik in the 1950s added intensity to the Cold War, the United States turned its attention to the ice sheets of Greenland for an edge.

Meant to be a “city under the ice,” Camp Century was designed to be a series of “twenty-one horizontal tunnels spidering through the snow,” according to the University of Vermont. Designers boasted that, once complete, it would be three times the size of Denmark — replete with a movie theater, hot showers, a chapel, a library, chemistry labs, and, most importantly, a portable nuclear reactor.

Destined to house nearly 200 residents, the top-secret missile base in northwestern Greenland, far north of the Arctic Circle, was publicly touted as a “remote research community” under the auspices of the Army Polar Research and Development Center.

In reality, it was “a top-secret plan to convert part of the Arctic into a launchpad for nuclear missiles,” according to the Washington Post.

https://www.navytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2023/12/13/inside-the-us-armys-failed-nuclear-lair-in-cold-war-greenland/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson