Author Topic: Heavy Armor Amphibious Attack: New Navy Abrams-Tank Transporting Landing Craft Arrives  (Read 174 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Heavy Armor Amphibious Attack: New Navy Abrams-Tank Transporting Landing Craft Arrives
The US Navy has now received its first Abrams-tank-transporting Ship-to-Shore Connector Landing Craft
KRIS OSBORN, WARRIOR MAVEN - CENTER FOR MILITARY MODERNIZATIONDEC 10, 2023
by Kris Osborn, President, Center for Military Modernization

The US Navy has now received its first Abrams-tank-transporting Ship-to-Shore Connector Landing Craft designed to bring Marines, weapons, supplies and ammunition from ship-to-shore in support of amphibious operations, a Naval Sea Systems Command essay says.

In development now for many years, the now operational Ship-to-Shore Connectors (SSCs) change the paradigm for landing craft and will ultimately replace the Navy’s long-serving 72 Landing Craft Air Cushions.

The Textron built SSCs advance the technical curve in a number of key respects as they are faster, more high-tech and, perhaps most of all, able to transport 70-ton Abrams tanks.

In addition to more payload capability, which greatly improves the ability of a joint force to project heavy armor in support of amphibious assault, the new SSC operates with digital flight controls and computer automation replacing the traditional yoke and pedals on existing LCACs. As a result, on-board computers will quickly calculate relevant details such as wind speed and navigational information

https://warriormaven.com/sea/heavy-armor-amphibious-attack-new-navy-abrams-tank-transporting-landing-craft-arrives
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson