Author Topic: New ICBM will take US nuclear missiles out of Cold War-era  (Read 200 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New ICBM will take US nuclear missiles out of Cold War-era
« on: December 11, 2023, 05:33:49 pm »
New ICBM will take US nuclear missiles out of Cold War-era
By Tara Copp, AP
 Dec 10, 10:35 AM

F.E. WARREN AIR FORCE BASE, Wyo. — The control stations for America’s nuclear intercontinental ballistic missiles have a sort of 1980s retro look, with computing panels in sea foam green, bad lighting and chunky control switches, including a critical one that says “launch.”

Those underground capsules are about to be demolished and the missile silos they control will be completely overhauled. A new nuclear missile is coming, a gigantic ICBM called the Sentinel. It’s the largest cultural shift in the land leg of the Air Force’s nuclear missile mission in 60 years.

But there are questions as to whether some of the Cold War-era aspects of the Minuteman missiles that the Sentinel will replace should be changed.

In this undated image provided by the Department of Defense, crews construct missile site connections in the 12th Missile Squadron flight area north of Great Falls, Mont.
In this undated image provided by the Department of Defense, crews construct missile site connections in the 12th Missile Squadron flight area north of Great Falls, Mont. The 12th MS is one of four missile squadrons in the 341st Operations Group of the 341st Space Wing. (Department of Defense via AP)

Making the silo-launched missile more modern, with complex software and 21st-century connectivity across a vast network, may also mean it’s more vulnerable. The Sentinel will need to be well protected from cyberattacks, while its technology will have to cope with frigid winter temperatures in the Western states where the silos are located.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2023/12/10/a-new-icbm-will-take-us-nuclear-missiles-out-of-the-cold-war-era/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: New ICBM will take US nuclear missiles out of Cold War-era
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 05:35:15 pm »
Let's not forget that at one point in time the crossbow was considered to be the weapon that would end all wars.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: New ICBM will take US nuclear missiles out of Cold War-era
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 05:49:37 pm »
Was this one of the locations Biden let the Chi-com spy balloon float over?

In this undated image provided by the Department of Defense, crews construct missile site connections in the 12th Missile Squadron flight area north of Great Falls, Mont.

ICBM's may deter full scale invasion (sucks to be you, Ukraine), but they do not deter war.  They force oponents to adapt and expand to different types of warfare ... proxy, asymetrical, electronic, psyops, disinformation, economic, agricultural, biological, etc.

Imagine the damage a Noro-Flu-Covid chimeric virus could do to a nation's readiness and strength.  Not all bio-warfare has to be bubonic plague and small pox.  A chimeric biological weapon, from which you can vaccinate/immunize your population and military, would be a great tool to obtain temporary offensive advantage ... buy time to invade Taiwan, seize Strait of Hormuz, invade South Korea, annex Guyana, or seize NATO Baltic States, etc.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 06:01:40 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright