Author Topic: Fallout rises from McCarthy handshake deal with White House  (Read 409 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Fallout rises from McCarthy handshake deal with White House
« on: December 11, 2023, 02:05:26 pm »
 Fallout rises from McCarthy handshake deal with White House
by Aris Folley and Tobias Burns - 12/11/23 6:00 AM ET

Lawmakers in both parties are growing increasingly concerned about where a handshake deal between the White House and former Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) on spending stands as they negotiate how the government should be funded next year.

The Biden administration and House GOP leadership worked to pass legislation known as the Fiscal Responsibility Act (FRA) in late spring as part of a larger deal to suspend the debt ceiling and set budget caps for Congress to work from when it hashes out its full-year funding bills months later.

But now that Congress is trying to ramp up its annual appropriations work, critical components of that months-old deal that were not reflected in the law are in question as ultraconservatives, in pursuit of steeper cuts amid climbing debt, say Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) is not beholden to what Democrats say is the full commitment made by McCarthy.

“A deal is a deal is a deal,” Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii), who serves on the Senate Appropriations Committee, said this week. “I think there’s no way we’re going to get to an appropriations deal if people can’t hold to their commitments.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4350704-white-house-mccarthy-spending-side-deal-johnson/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Fallout rises from McCarthy handshake deal with White House
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 03:31:55 pm »
“A deal is a deal is a deal,” Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii), who serves on the Senate Appropriations Committee, said this week. “I think there’s no way we’re going to get to an appropriations deal if people can’t hold to their commitments.”

Ironic coming from a democrat, no?

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 03:49:28 pm »
I'm still waiting for Dems to fulfill the immigration law enforcement and border security provisions of the 1986/1987 Immigration Reform Act deal.

I think McCarthy's deal was that McCarthy would make a deal with Biden Admin, and Dems would vote to keep him speaker.  The Dems did not keep their end of that bargain either.

If a Dem offers to gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today, kick the deadbeat to the curb.

All deals need to be cash & carry.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 03:52:57 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline bilo

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 06:12:36 pm »
I'm still waiting for Dems to fulfill the immigration law enforcement and border security provisions of the 1986/1987 Immigration Reform Act deal.

I think McCarthy's deal was that McCarthy would make a deal with Biden Admin, and Dems would vote to keep him speaker.  The Dems did not keep their end of that bargain either.

If a Dem offers to gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today, kick the deadbeat to the curb.

All deals need to be cash & carry.

If it was a real deal put it in writing. They didn't and it wasn't.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 06:24:29 pm »
Written deals aren't worth scratch.  Contract law went out the window with the 2008/2009 Financial Crisis when the Federal Government unilaterally de-facto nullified contracts and ignored laws ... because it was an "emergency".

Even lawyers don't care about things in writing.  Look at how many of Trump's lawyers are getting ding'ed for ignoring reality.

Congressional subpoenas aren worth less than Monopoly Money.

The Biden Executive will slow-walk or no-walk any GOP agenda item the Dems allegedly agree to.

////00000////

Every transaction has to go by drug-dealer rules ... "You go the stuff?"  "You got the money?"  "Bang! Bang! Bang! Now I got the stuff AND the money."
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 06:26:45 pm by DefiantMassRINO »

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 06:52:24 pm »

And I'm still waiting for Trump supporters to acknowledge that Kevin McCarthy was Trump's boy.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 07:00:07 pm »
McCarthy was Trump's boy; but not Trump's favorite.  Just like Donald wasn't Fred Trump's favorite son.

McCarthy was a less than useful idiot who served a purpose until he didn't.

Welcome to the wonderful world that is Trump's Psychopathic Circus.

Offline bilo

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2023, 07:01:27 pm »
Written deals aren't worth scratch.  Contract law went out the window with the 2008/2009 Financial Crisis when the Federal Government unilaterally de-facto nullified contracts and ignored laws ... because it was an "emergency".

Even lawyers don't care about things in writing.  Look at how many of Trump's lawyers are getting ding'ed for ignoring reality.

Congressional subpoenas aren worth less than Monopoly Money.

The Biden Executive will slow-walk or no-walk any GOP agenda item the Dems allegedly agree to.

////00000////

Every transaction has to go by drug-dealer rules ... "You go the stuff?"  "You got the money?"  "Bang! Bang! Bang! Now I got the stuff AND the money."

Silly me. I spent 45 years in a business where everything had to be in writing.

Offline bilo

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 07:07:52 pm »
And I'm still waiting for Trump supporters to acknowledge that Kevin McCarthy was Trump's boy.

I will.

Picking personnel is one of Trump's weaknesses. He places too much emphasis in what he perceives to be loyalty and not enough in the ideology of the individual. It worries me that if he gets elected it may not be as fruitful as it should be. However, I will support him and contribute to his campaign to the end because I don't want to live in a country where a bunch of corrupt Establishment Loyalists determine who I can and cannot vote for.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 07:09:56 pm »
If the Dems welch on a "written" deal agreement with the GOP, what can the GOP do about it?  Who and how will enforce it?  Nothing and nobody until the GOP is in the majority again.

We live in an age of transactional relationships without direct consequences.

If you are a terrible CEO who destroys G.E., do you get fired or have your compensation clawed back?  Nope, you walk out the door with millions of shareholder dollars and ride into the sunset with your Executive Platinum Parachute/Coffin.

Incompetence is not a crime.  Those who are best at it get rewarded handsomely for being incompetent just to get them out of the way.

There is less legal liability for rewarding incompetence than there is for enforcing competence.

The only time someone cares about anything in writing is when they need convenient legal cover to end the relationship with you.

Enforcing competence can be inconvenient, confrontational, expensive and time consuming.  That's why everything seems to be going to crap.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 07:12:16 pm by DefiantMassRINO »