Author Topic: Ospreys had history of safety issues long before they were grounded  (Read 176 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Ospreys had history of safety issues long before they were grounded
By Tara Copp, AP
 Thursday, Dec 7

When the U.S. military took the extraordinary step of grounding its entire fleet of V-22 Ospreys this week, it wasn’t reacting just to the recent deadly crash of the aircraft off the coast of Japan. The aircraft has had a long list of problems in its short history.

The Osprey takes off and lands like a helicopter but can tilt its propellers horizontally to fly like an airplane. That unique and complex design has allowed the Osprey to speed troops to the battlefield. The U.S. Marine Corps, which operates the vast majority of the hundreds of Ospreys in service, calls it a “game-changing assault support platform.”

But on Wednesday, the Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps grounded all Ospreys after a preliminary investigation of last week’s crash indicated that a materiel failure — that something went wrong with the aircraft — led to the deaths of all eight Air Force Special Operations Command airmen on board.

And it’s not the first time. There have been persistent questions about a mechanical problem with the clutch that has troubled the program for more than a decade. There also have been questions as to whether all parts of the Osprey have been manufactured according to safety specifications and, as those parts age, whether they remain strong enough to withstand the significant forces created by the Osprey’s unique structure and dynamics of tiltrotor flight.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2023/12/07/ospreys-had-history-of-safety-issues-long-before-they-were-grounded/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Ospreys had history of safety issues long before they were grounded
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 03:50:12 pm »
What's the big deal about people getting killed on them?  They're only American citizens, after all, not some protected class like illegal aliens. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson