Author Topic: Hamas atrocities trigger memories of growing up Jewish in Seattle  (Read 202 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Hamas atrocities trigger memories of growing up Jewish in Seattle
Dec. 8, 2023 at 2:10 pm 

By Henry Aronson
Special to The Seattle Times
The tsunami of shocking antisemitism across the world, from Hamas’ slaughter of 1,200 Jews and hostage-taking on Oct. 7 to antisemitic demonstrations, has triggered deeply held memories of growing up Jewish, and experiencing antisemitism, in Seattle.

We Jews were a distinct Seattle minority and no public institution (schools, government offices, etc.) closed on Rosh Hashana or Yom Kippur, our High Holy Days. Until fairly recently, Jews were rarely if ever admitted to Seattle’s prominent social institutions, such as the Seattle Yacht Club, the Seattle Tennis Club, the College Club, the Washington Athletic Club, the Rainier Club, or the Seattle and Broadmoor golf clubs, or allowed to reside in Seattle’s gated communities of Broadmoor or The Highlands.

My most blatant antisemitic experience was in the late 1940s when our family was excluded from what was then the Alderbrook Inn, a resort hotel on Hood Canal. Dad had made reservations well in advance and my sister and I were particularly excited as this was the first time our family had plans to stay at a “resort.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/hamas-atrocities-trigger-memories-of-growing-up-jewish-in-seattle/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: Hamas atrocities trigger memories of growing up Jewish in Seattle
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 05:55:23 pm »
Quote from: article
I participated in the Jewish rush and joined a Jewish fraternity, Zeta Beta Tau.

So the author joined a Jewish only fraternity? Only after 1954 did they accept non-Jewish members...

Sorry, but I believe a private business/fraternity/college/school should have the right exclude who they want... Freedom of association.... That said, their loss is someone else's gain, it opens up opportunity (free market) to absorb your hard earned money to others. Unless something is government (open to all,), Freedom to associate is a right that has been stepped upon by the inclusion mob.

If these places take government moneys, they lose that right.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 05:57:37 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....