Author Topic: George Washington and the Military Recruitment Crisis  (Read 164 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
George Washington and the Military Recruitment Crisis
« on: December 09, 2023, 03:11:59 pm »
December 8, 2023   
George Washington and the Military Recruitment Crisis
The U.S. military’s recruitment issue has its roots in our drastically over-extended national security strategy.

by Andrew J. Bibb

The popular image of the Continental Army that fought and won the American War for Independence is one of a ragtag collection of farmers and tradesmen gathered from across the thirteen colonies who stood up to the strongest professional military of its time and achieved its goal of independence through patriotic zeal and tactical creativity. There is some truth to this image, but the reality was much more complicated.

Forge of Empires
Many don’t realize that George Washington often despaired of the Americans’ commitment to the cause of American liberty. Recruiting and retention was a constant struggle, and it was only through clear-eyed dedication to the ends for which the war was fought while simultaneously balancing the ways and means against the hard realities of the struggle that Washington succeeded. Given the U.S. military’s current recruiting problems, it is worth examining how Washington managed to steer the Continental Army through its own shortage of willing and able warriors to achieve final victory.

When Washington assumed command of the Continental Army in 1775, zeal for the American cause was just beginning to peak. The Massachusetts militias had forced a British retreat from Lexington and Concord and penned the enemy into the port city of Boston. Washington, as he had shown in the French and Indian War, was an offense-minded commander. But reticence on the part of his subordinate commanders and constant shortages in supplies and manpower meant he was forced to change his operational approach. Even at the height of patriotic fervor, his officers refused to attack Boston, so Washington settled for an artillery barrage that eventually forced the British to evacuate.

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/george-washington-and-military-recruitment-crisis-207806
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: George Washington and the Military Recruitment Crisis
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 03:13:06 pm »
Why bring up Washington when liberals are starting to move to erase old George from US History? :thud:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 03:14:26 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson