Author Topic: Pentagon Grounds All V-22s for ‘Potential Materiel Failure’ After Crash off Japan  (Read 164 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Pentagon Grounds All V-22s for ‘Potential Materiel Failure’ After Crash off Japan
By: Mallory Shelbourne and Sam LaGrone
December 6, 2023 7:00 PM • Updated: December 6, 2023 9:30 PM

The Navy grounded its V-22 Osprey fleet following a deadly crash in Japan last week, Naval Air Systems Command said Wednesday.

The grounding went into effect on Dec. 6 and applies to all of the Navy’s variants, which include the Marine Corps MV-22B and the Navy’s CMV-22B. The CMV-22 is the service’s new carrier onboard delivery aircraft.

“Preliminary investigation information indicates a potential materiel failure caused the mishap, but the underlying cause of the failure is unknown at this time,” NAVAIR said in a statement.

“While the mishap remains under investigation, we are implementing additional risk mitigation controls to ensure the safety of our service members,” the statement continued. “The Joint Program Office continues to communicate and collaborate with all V-22 stakeholders and customers, including allied partners.”

https://news.usni.org/2023/12/06/pentagon-grounds-all-v-22s-after-air-force-crash-off-japan
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson