Author Topic: Former speaker Kevin McCarthy will retire from Congress at end of year  (Read 798 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Former speaker Kevin McCarthy will retire from Congress at end of year
Washington Post, Dec 6, 2023

Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), the former House speaker who was ousted from his position in October in a revolt by hard-right members, will not seek reelection to his congressional seat and will retire from Congress at the end of this month, he announced Wednesday

*I have decided to depart the House at the end of this year to serve America in new ways,” McCarthy said in a Wall Street Journal op-ed. “I know my work is only getting started.”

McCarthy’s retirement will bring to an end a 16-year House career that saw him quickly rise through the ranks of Republican leadership, culminating with his stint as speaker. His ouster marked the first time in history that the House voted to remove its leader, a move that threw the chamber into a period of instability.

McCarthy’s departure before the end of his term means California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) will have to call a special election to replace him.

More:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/12/06/kevin-mccarthy-retire/

Re: Former speaker Kevin McCarthy will retire from Congress at end of year
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 04:40:38 pm »

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 04:45:26 pm »
McCarthy released video with announcement:

https://rumble.com/embed/v3xbwgy/?pub=4

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 04:47:32 pm »
I'd add the Powers Boothe meme, but this worthless RINO isn't worth the the 54 seconds effort to do it
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 04:50:08 pm »
I had a feeling this would happen...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 05:02:00 pm »
The seat will flip to rat...it's been getting closer these past few years.
With the corruption, it's assured...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2023, 05:52:05 pm »
Monica Crowley
@MonicaCrowley
Republicans bounced George Santos.

Kevin McCarthy is leaving this month.

Bill Johnson is retiring.

This will leave the GOP with a ONE-SEAT majority.

Democrats would never do their voters like this.

These people don’t give a sh!t about us or the country. In fact, they revel in sticking it to us and the country.

Disgusting.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2023, 05:59:27 pm »
Nice going GOP voting for the removal of Santos..he was good for only one thing..keeping majority of the House.

One more retirement, death or whatever we lose the House..that means no more committee chairs, impeachment investigations etc.
Support the USO

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2023, 05:59:49 pm »
America loses a Congressman; the World gains a used car salesman.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2023, 06:07:37 pm »
Nice going GOP voting for the removal of Santos..he was good for only one thing..keeping majority of the House.

One more retirement, death or whatever we lose the House..that means no more committee chairs, impeachment investigations etc.

DEMS are leaving as well so it will be interesting to see what happens -- likely the Uniparty will continue anyways.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2023, 06:18:17 pm »
Joe Concha
@JoeConchaTV
·
1h
McCarthy won his district by nearly 40 points last time out, so lest anyone think this will ultimately result in a Democratic flip. CA-20 is profoundly red.
Support the USO

Offline bilo

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2023, 06:18:31 pm »
Monica Crowley
@MonicaCrowley
Republicans bounced George Santos.

Kevin McCarthy is leaving this month.

Bill Johnson is retiring.

This will leave the GOP with a ONE-SEAT majority.

Democrats would never do their voters like this.

These people don’t give a sh!t about us or the country. In fact, they revel in sticking it to us and the country.

Disgusting.

Monica Crowley is so right. These retirements that narrow the majority even more illustrate that the Establishment Loyalists in the Pub party never had any real principals.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2023, 08:23:16 pm »
Joe Concha
@JoeConchaTV
·
1h
McCarthy won his district by nearly 40 points last time out, so lest anyone think this will ultimately result in a Democratic flip. CA-20 is profoundly red.
nothing is stopping Newsom from calling a special redistricting session.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline berdie

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2023, 09:44:16 pm »
Hell hath no wrath like a Speaker scorned.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2023, 09:57:46 pm »

I don't blame any of them for retiring.  They are tired of kissing Trump's orange butt and negotiating with the arson caucus. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2023, 10:19:48 pm »
Kevin McCarthy’s Departure Triggers Special Election to Fill His Seat

Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) has announced his resignation, and Republicans are wincing at the long window before his seat is filled.

California law says the governor must schedule a special election for a U.S. House seat between 126 to 140 days after it is vacated.

That means the seat would remain vacant until near Memorial Day, with a general election likely on May 20, 2024.

First, California will conduct a nonpartisan blanket primary, in which the top two vote-getters, regardless of party, advance to the general election.

The winner of the general election would be seated within days of victory.

The small window ties the hands of Gov. Gavin Newsom (D-CA), who would prefer to schedule the election later to keep the reliably Republican seat — which Cook Political Report ranks R+14 — vacant as long as possible.

Republicans will miss McCarthy’s vote during marquee legislative battles of the first half of 2024. Foremost among those, the first deadline for funding the federal government is January 19, with the second deadline on February 2. Congress bifurcated a massive bill to continue government spending, leading to two deadlines weeks apart.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/12/06/kevin-mccarthys-departure-triggers-special-election-to-fill-his-seat/
Support the USO

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2023, 11:34:38 pm »
Hey Kevin...

Don't let the door hit ya...

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2023, 11:44:21 pm »
I don't blame any of them for retiring.  They are tired of kissing Trump's orange butt and negotiating with the arson caucus.

Well, Gaetz must be thrilled.

Speaking of which, I got an invite to a local GOP meeting tomorrow in Strongsville, Ohio (Cleveland suburb) at which Matt Gaetz himself is going to be present.  Kind of odd.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2023-strongsville-gop-christmas-party-with-congressman-matt-gaetz-tickets-733128997567?aff=ebdssbcategorybrowse

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2023, 02:11:39 pm »
 Raskin says ‘good riddance’ to McCarthy, blasting Jan. 6 response
by Lauren Irwin - 12/07/23 8:42 AM ET

Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.) said “good riddance” to Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), after the former Speaker revealed his plan to retire from Congress at the end of the year.

“I say a good riddance to him,” Raskin said Wednesday in an interview with MSNBC Wednesday. “He did nothing for this country or his Constitution at its moment of crisis.”

McCarthy, who was ousted from his leadership role in October, announced that he will depart the House at the end of the year. Following the historic vote, speculation began on whether the California Republican would finish the term or run for reelection in 2024.

Raskin slammed McCarthy — who was House Minority Leader at the time — for his response to former President Trump following the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol insurrection.

“He showed no backbone,” the Maryland Democrat said. “He showed no courage.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4347320-raskin-mccarthy-good-riddance-jan-6-response/
Support the USO

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2023, 02:18:06 pm »

A broken clock is right twice a day.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2023, 03:18:17 pm »
Raskin says ‘good riddance’ to McCarthy, blasting Jan. 6 response
by Lauren Irwin - 12/07/23 8:42 AM ET

Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.) said “good riddance” to Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), after the former Speaker revealed his plan to retire from Congress at the end of the year.

“I say a good riddance to him,” Raskin said Wednesday in an interview with MSNBC Wednesday. “He did nothing for this country or his Constitution at its moment of crisis.”

McCarthy, who was ousted from his leadership role in October, announced that he will depart the House at the end of the year. Following the historic vote, speculation began on whether the California Republican would finish the term or run for reelection in 2024.

Raskin slammed McCarthy — who was House Minority Leader at the time — for his response to former President Trump following the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol insurrection.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4347320-raskin-mccarthy-good-riddance-jan-6-response/
My response to old bandage head Raskin is...now do Pelosi.