Author Topic: US awards $110 million to reduce wildlife car collisions  (Read 470 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
US awards $110 million to reduce wildlife car collisions
« on: December 06, 2023, 02:22:30 pm »
US awards $110 million to reduce wildlife car collisions
Wildlife-vehicle collisions cause about 200 deaths and 26,000 injuries annually, according to government
Reuters
Published December 5, 2023 2:54pm EST

The U.S. Transportation Department is awarding $110 million to fund 19 projects in 17 states to help reduce car collisions with wildlife and help animals safely cross roadways.

There are more than 1 million wildlife vehicle collisions in the United States with large animals like deer that cost more than $8 billion annually. Wildlife-vehicle collisions result in about 200 deaths and 26,000 injuries to drivers and passengers annually, federal officials say.

Federal Highway Administrator Shailen Bhatt said the wildlife crossing funding is "targeted at a very real safety concern."

One project in Arizona is using GPS data to track where elk are moving, he said. "We can get smart about how we use technology to reduce these collisions."

The awards are the first under a five-year $350 million program funded by the $1 trillion 2021 infrastructure law. The federal government received applications seeking $550 million in funding.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/us/us-awards-110-million-reduce-wildlife-car-collisions
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: US awards $110 million to reduce wildlife car collisions
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 05:01:26 pm »
"One project in Arizona is using GPS data to track where elk are moving"

No way on earth someone is tagging every one of these critters for GPS.   :silly:

Still, I agree that the population exposion of deer has really escalated the risk, especailly with night driving.  But this is almost a solution-less problem.  Lowering the speed limits at night might help a bit.  But the best defense is adding situational awareness by adding deer as part of your defensive driving skills.   I've had maybe 4 or 5 near misses the past 10 years, but that avoidance was because I am watching for those things.

One hint to folks ...watch for areas around cane breaks.  Bamboo sprouts are the Filet Mignion of the Deer diet.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 07:06:25 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 05:58:34 pm »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 07:45:41 pm »
The only deer I've ever made contact with was when the danged thing ran into me.  This time of year when they are in the rut they don't pay attention to anything other than mating, so they'll run across the road and never once look.

I generally hit one every 2 to 5 years... Enough that I carry a 357 in the pickup... And I have a monster brush guard on a lifted truck... So the deer goes under every time, and this current truck has no damage yet... And I have had this one since 2010 or so... It's the elk, moose, and griz you don't want to hit... But I ain't gonna wreck my truck trying to avoid a deer.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 08:04:07 pm »
We were dining with friends last night and the topic moved to deer-car accidents. Most of us have hit at least one in our lifetimes. We live in rural or semi-rural areas.

The daughter of one couple totalled her car just a week or so ago when she hit Bambi. I doubt anything the feds do will help matters, though, as they have yet to accomplish much of anything except how to relieve all of us of our hard-earned money.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 08:34:50 pm »
You mean those Deer Whistles don't work?...
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline berdie

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2023, 09:49:34 pm »
The deer population as definitely increased around here. I figure people don't hunt much any more.

But trying to keep them off the roads....not gonna happen.

Online LMAO

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2023, 11:54:26 pm »
You mean those Deer Whistles don't work?...

Not really
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online LMAO

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2023, 11:55:44 pm »
The deer population as definitely increased around here. I figure people don't hunt much any more.

But trying to keep them off the roads....not gonna happen.

We’ve had a series of hard winters that’s thinned the herd

A couple mild winters in a row and I’ll be playing “Dodge the Deer” more
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy