Author Topic: Weekly Climate and Energy News Roundup #578  (Read 149 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Weekly Climate and Energy News Roundup #578
« on: December 06, 2023, 11:12:06 am »
Weekly Climate and Energy News Roundup #578
21 hours ago Guest Blogger 18 Comments
The Week That Was: 2023-12-02 (December 2, 2023)
Brought to You by SEPP (www.SEPP.org)
The Science and Environmental Policy Project
Quote of the Week: “The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” – Bertrand Russell

Number of the Week: 30 to 100 times as much energy

THIS WEEK:

By Ken Haapala, President, Science and Environmental Policy Project (SEPP)

Scope: The following issues are presented. It is important to recognize that mathematics is the language of science, not physical science itself. Nobel Laurate in physics John Clauser discusses what is missing in the UN climate science. Professor Wyss Yim discusses why it is important to understand how volcanic eruptions change climate. Atomic, Molecular, and Optical (AMO) physicist William van Wijngaarden presents why calculations from an imaginary atmosphere give misleading results. Robert Bryce brings up a real weather threat to Northeastern US, which it is not prepared to meet. The need for reliable, affordable electricity is increasing in a high-tech economy and COP-28 has begun.

Beyond Mathematics: Mathematics is the language of science. As with all languages it can mislead and deceive. A brilliant pioneer in quantum mechanics, Nobel Laureate Richard Feynman understood this and stated that in physical sciences the ultimate and final judge is observation of nature, including realistic experiments:. Is the mathematics consistent with observation of nature?

Also, a student in quantum mechanics, now a retired experimental and theoretical physicist John Clauser received his Nobel in physics in 2022 along with Alain Aspect and Anton Zeilinger for having conducted:

“groundbreaking experiments using entangled quantum states, where two particles behave like a single unit even when they are separated. Their results have cleared the way for new technology based upon quantum information.

The ineffable effects of quantum mechanics are starting to find applications. There is now a large field of research that includes quantum computers, quantum networks and secure quantum encrypted communication.

One key factor in this development is how quantum mechanics allows two or more particles to exist in what is called an entangled state. What happens to one of the particles in an entangled pair determines what happens to the other particle, even if they are far apart.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/12/05/weekly-climate-and-energy-news-roundup-578/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson