Author Topic: Republicans close ranks, demand Dems face border crisis as Biden Ukraine aid plan hangs in balance  (Read 216 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
The Turtle's words mean nothing to me anymore.

Republicans close ranks, demand Dems face border crisis as Biden Ukraine aid plan hangs in balance

Republicans in the House and Senate are closing ranks in a bid to force President Biden to deal with the ongoing crisis at the U.S. southern border.

Both Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., have signaled that getting any part of Biden’s $106 billion supplemental aid request passed would require concessions on conservative border and asylum measures.

Johnson told GOP lawmakers in a closed-door meeting that passing border security measures is a top goal of his in considering an aid package, two sources who were present told Fox News Digital.

One said Johnson called border security a "hill to die on" in the ongoing fight, confirming earlier reporting by the Associated Press.

House conservatives have been pushing Johnson to not accept anything less than H.R. 2, the GOP’s marquee border bill, which would reinstate Trump administration-era measures such as Remain In Mexico and limit the ability for undocumented migrants to seek asylum, among other policies.

McConnell told reporters at a press conference later that afternoon that he would urge Senate Republicans to vote against advancing Biden's $106 billion request unless border security measures were included. ................

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/republicans-close-ranks-demand-democrats-border-crisis-biden-aid-plan
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Republicans storm out of briefing as Congress battles over Israel and Ukraine aid package
NBC News, Dec 5, 2023

WASHINGTON — A classified briefing for senators on the White House's request for aid for Israel and Ukraine became "heated" with Republican members storming out of the meeting Tuesday.

The briefing, led by the secretaries of Defense and State as well as the director of national intelligence and the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, was held behind closed doors to allow all 100 senators to ask questions about the administration's funding request.

But it fell apart, senators from both parties said, after Republicans began asking about the border. GOP members in both chambers have demanded serious changes to immigration policy to address rising migrant crossings in exchange for passing new aid for Ukraine.

They didn't like what they heard.

[...]

We want to help Ukraine and Israel but we’ve got to have the Democrats recognize that the trade here the deal is we stop the open border. They don’t want to do that,” said Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, said. “So, Republicans are just walking out of the briefing because the people there are not willing to actually discuss what it takes to get a deal done.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/republicans-storm-briefing-congress-battles-israel-ukraine-aid-package-rcna128245