Author Topic: Black women’s group defends affirmative action at military academies  (Read 263 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Black women’s group defends affirmative action at military academies
By Irene Loewenson
 Dec 14, 02:05 PM

The U.S. Military Academy Class of 2023 marches during the 2023 Graduation Parade on May 23, 2023, in West Point, N.Y. (Jorge Garcia/Army)
An advocacy organization for Black women in the military has voiced support for service academies’ affirmative action policies, which federal lawsuits have called discriminatory and have sought to end.

The National Association of Black Military Women and left-leaning legal organizations have weighed in on the lawsuits against the U.S. Military Academy and the Naval Academy, filing briefs in defense of the academies’ use of race as a factor in admissions decisions, often known as affirmative action.

In June, the Supreme Court decided 6-3 that affirmative action in higher education violated the clause of the Constitution guaranteeing equal protection under the law. But Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in a footnote that the decision didn’t apply to the military’s service academies, which presented “potentially distinct interests.”

The footnote left the door open for litigation seeking to ban affirmative action in those military institutions.

https://www.militarytimes.com/education-transition/2023/12/14/black-womens-group-defends-affirmative-action-at-military-academies/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Black women’s group defends affirmative action at military academies
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 03:58:23 pm »
I'm sure the president and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs do too. :im waiting:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Black women’s group defends affirmative action at military academies
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2023, 11:39:11 pm »
Gee,THERE is a surprise,huh?

Hooda thunk future Admirals with names  like "LaQuesha" would be in favor of AA?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!