Author Topic: Trump to take money from college endowments for government-run "American Academy"  (Read 5572 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
...hmm... how about we wait for our resident Trump supporters to weigh in before we judge them?
Because they're about as predictable as the phases of the moon.

New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Student loan clawbacks? Giving that money back to the students they fleeced? Nah.

A new government program that resembles Trump University 2.0? Yeah.

Thanks....  I'd forgot about some of his scams.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mountaineer

...hmm... how about we wait for our resident Trump supporters to weigh in before we judge them?
I agree. It's rude to presume.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
From the source article:
"Under the plan I’m announcing today, we will take the billions and billions of dollars that we will collect by taxing, fining, and suing excessively large private university endowments, and we will then use that money to endow a new institution called the American Academy."

Durnit, this sounds pretty good to me.

For a century, the left (spurred on by academia) has been taking our money.
It's time to take a good chunk of that BACK.

Y'all want the leftist education system dismantled and a better one rebuilt in its stead?

Like Mr. Lenin said, "To make an omelet..."

Sorry if you don't like this post or my attitude.
Neither of them will be changed.

Offline LMAO

From the source article:
"Under the plan I’m announcing today, we will take the billions and billions of dollars that we will collect by taxing, fining, and suing excessively large private university endowments, and we will then use that money to endow a new institution called the American Academy."

Y'all want the leftist education system dismantled and a better one rebuilt in its stead?

Well that didn’t take long. I predicted accurately
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
From the source article:

Cut off their public funding.

I'm good with that.

Then the left can put their money where their mouths are.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LMAO

I'm good with that.

Agree
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

I'm good with that.

Totally on board with that, though that's much different from what Trump is actually advocating.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Well that didn’t take long. I predicted accurately

Yup.

It's worthwhile noting this isn't something Trump just said casually off the top of his head without thinking.  This is an express policy position that obviously was discussed and fine-tuned before being put up on his public website.  That means that not only does Trump support this, but so too do the folks advising him.  That makes it something you just can't wave away.

Offline corbe

Further proof that TBR is a Hate Trump Forum.  If anybody has experience in this it's Trump: He started his own University.

Oh yea, the lawsuits stopped when it filed bankruptcy 2 years later.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

Further proof that TBR is a Hate Trump Forum.  If anybody has experience in this it's Trump: He started his own University.

Hate Trump forum?? Nah. More like most of us have come to our senses and it sure as heck isn't standing behind someone who supports liberalism, larger government and out of control spending.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

@corbe

Geez...next time, pull the shades or turn off the lights when y'all circle-jerk.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline corbe

I am forever Grateful to TBR to allow me this escape for 10+ years.

@mystery-ak and @Cyber Liberty have allowed 'Freedom of Speech' here throughout this Ordeal; this chasm that existed in the GOP even before the Goldwater days.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hoodat

Ditto.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Totally on board with that, though that's much different from what Trump is actually advocating.
It is different, and beyond that crosses a line.

For all the howling about not being censored, about information not being controlled, not only would this represent an illegal seizure of assets, but a lockdown on what is taught.

The whole purpose of being at university was to learn how to research in a meaningful and intelligent way to find answers, at least when and where I went.

That requires a variety of viewpoints, debate and discussion, not marching in lockstep.
Freedom of speech MUST include that which we find to be incorrect, or those arguments cannot be made.

Discovery of new scientific concepts, similarly, requires the examination of all, from fundamental principles to cutting edge theories, and the failure to question the axioms is as bad as cherry picking evidence in supporting a theory.

We had a die hard Communist among the students we knew. Card Carrying type who could recite all that proletariat vs the bourgeois stuff, but could not put a single concept in his own words. FAIL!
Indoctrinated, but not educated, and his stuff didn't find many willing ears.
But we were exposed to it, to the mindset, to the opportunity to discern between educated support for a theory and total indoctrination, and that made it interesting until that nonsense became tedious. Nonetheless,he had his opportunity to make his case.

Without that exchange, that discourse, education will be back to memorizing by rote, as much indoctrination as our token Communist displayed.

I want the students of tomorrow to be able to tell me, in their own words, why things work or do not, without being the square peg hammered through some round die.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LMAO

Forget the criticisms of his first term. His position on ObamaCare, his new expensive spending plans, his lack of any interest in addressing the entitlement issue except to attack those that do, his embracing of  support from BLM(which wasn’t really their support but he embraced it nonetheless), his hinting at using the federal government as a tool for his retribution, and now this makes the only arguments left for supporting Trump more based on emotion

Expect it to get worse in the coming months

Barry Goldwater

Online DCPatriot

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
@corbe

Geez...next time, pull the shades or turn off the lights when y'all circle-jerk.

@DCPatriot

We understand you not liking our negative comments towards Mr. Trump, but are more interested in yours and hopefully @Right_in_Virginia  's reaction to the subject at hand......   Trump's proposal to seize individual university's endowment funds for his vision of an American University.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline the OlLine Rebel

This needs to be posted at TOS.

Not to mention threads for his other proposals on his site.

So sick of this dude and the butt-kissers of his minions.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Online DCPatriot

@DCPatriot

We understand you not liking our negative comments towards Mr. Trump, but are more interested in yours and hopefully @Right_in_Virginia  's reaction to the subject at hand......   Trump's proposal to seize individual university's endowment funds for his vision of an American University.

LOL!  if his intent was to nationally franchise "Hillsdale College", I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Half the people hate us as Deplorables.  And half the people in our own tent hate the other half.

What he is proposing doesn't make any sense to me. 

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
LOL!  if his intent was to nationally franchise "Hillsdale College", I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Half the people hate us as Deplorables.  And half the people in our own tent hate the other half.

Thanks....   Though we don't always agree, I can say you have a high degree of honesty and sincerity.

:beer:

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !

Ok, I have to give props where it is due. I can't believe a moment of saneness from the other side.

Thank you DC. Now did I miss @sneakypete giving his two cents on the matter. How about it @Right_in_Virginia
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Hoodat

The reason Hillsdale College is such a great school is because they don't receive any government money.  Yet now you advocate that the Federal government come in and seize money from other private schools at the point of a gun and give that money to Hillsdale?  Wow.  Just wow.  The Democrat is strong in you.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

What I just don't get is how those who claim to be on the right don't see what happens to the "American Academy" when the next Democrat takes office.  The reason conservatives have traditionally opposed expansions of government power is because of how easily they can be twisted by the other side when they're in power.  You limit the authority of the government to limit both sides.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Ok, I have to give props where it is due. I can't believe a moment of saneness from the other side.

Thank you DC. Now did I miss @sneakypete giving his two cents on the matter. How about it @Right_in_Virginia

@Sighlass

Sorry, I'm late to this party --- Steve and I were out with friends for dinner.  Place had pretty good food and a piano player ---- both always make me smile.  happy77

The anti-Trumps seemed to enjoy the thread even without my help.  Ah, it's nice to see the grasshoppers are growing up.

Thank you for thinking of me.  Maybe next time.  :seeya:

Cc:  @DCPatriot  ♥️