Author Topic: Congress can’t afford to let the Feds lose this critical intelligence tool  (Read 296 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Congress can’t afford to let the Feds lose this critical intelligence tool
BY DAVID LASSETER AND STEPHEN BOYD, OPINION CONTRIBUTORS - 11/29/23 12:30 PM ET

In 33 days, a key authority within the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act is slated to sunset, leaving the U.S. without one of its best sources of intelligence on terrorists, adverse state actors and drug traffickers. Allowing this national security authority to expire would be a grave mistake.

Congressional reauthorization of the provision known as Section 702 is a must, but it won’t be easy. As the managers of the Justice Department’s last successful reauthorization campaign, we know that this authority, which allows the U.S. government to conduct surveillance on foreign persons reasonably believed to be overseas, is a critical intelligence tool.

But as former chiefs of staff on Capitol Hill, we also understand that congressional concern about alleged misuse of collected data must be addressed. Those dueling realities — the program is at once valuable and in need of repair — demand a compromise that improves the law without gutting its usefulness.

Today, we sense knowledge and trust deficits on Capitol Hill that open the door for unserious voices to derail what must be a national security priority. This is not the time for Congress to be buffeted by ill-informed opinions on the political fringes or fall prey to myth-making by outside groups. Individual members of Congress must take it upon themselves to get educated on the facts and the law — critical, given that nearly half of all House members are new since the last reauthorization.

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/4331574-congress-cant-afford-to-let-the-feds-lose-this-critical-intelligence-tool/
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 06:24:28 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
If it is that critical, you can count on it dying.  If congress were to keep it, they might have to clear out of the bars and do the oversight jobs they get paid to do. 000222
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Note how the articles two authors, former congressional chiefs of staff turned consultants, downplay the DOJ and FBI's abuses of FISA.  Personally, I don't like secret courts in general, and the FISA Court in particular, after it turned into a rubberstamp for DOJ.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline DefiantMassRINO

F.I.S.A. ... the same law that FBI abused to persecute Trump during 2016 election?

Founding Fathers believed Sunshine was the best disinfectant.

No secret police.  No secret courts.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
But as former chiefs of staff on Capitol Hill, we also understand that congressional concern about alleged misuse of collected data must be addressed. Those dueling realities — the program is at once valuable and in need of repair — demand a compromise that improves the law without gutting its usefulness.

So, what is needed is, better oversight.
I suggest that, for each case that is brought before the FISA court,
staffers from Congress also be present -
staff members from the Chair and the Ranking Member of the
Intelligence Committee and the Judiciary Committee
of the House and Senate.
A total of 8 staff members.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao