Author Topic: Breakthrough: Patriot Missile Tracks & Destroys Maneuvering Cruise Missile  (Read 150 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Breakthrough: Patriot Missile Tracks & Destroys Maneuvering Cruise Missile
The now "classic" Patriot missile was made famous more than 30-years ago for intercepting SCUD missiles fired from Saddam Hussein's Iraq
KRIS OSBORN, WARRIOR MAVEN - CENTER FOR MILITARY MODERNIZATIONNOV 28, 2023
By Kris Osborn, President, Center for Military Modernization

The now "classic" Patriot missile was made famous more than 30-years ago for intercepting SCUD missiles fired from Saddam Hussein's Iraq at US forces during Desert Storm, yet the weapon is now continuing to break through into new generations of performance and defensive capability.

The maturation of the Patriot has been steady in recent decades, resulting in the most current advancement in which a new Patriot missile radar system called The Lower Tier Air and Missile Defense Sensor able to track threats across a wider area aperture and intercept moving targets with greater precision.  The Patriot, upgraded with the now functional, Raytheon-built LTAMDS, was able to destroy a cruise missile threat at White Sands Missile Range, N.M., according to a service essay on the demonstration.

Destroying a cruise missile is indeed a new capability, as their trajectory is not like a parabola-like ballistic missile trajectory, making them much harder to track and destroy.

https://warriormaven.com/land/breakthrough-patriot-missile-tracks-destroys-maneuvering-cruise-missile
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson