Author Topic: IS THERE ANYTHING TO LEARN FROM UKRAINE?  (Read 308 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
IS THERE ANYTHING TO LEARN FROM UKRAINE?
« on: November 30, 2023, 06:30:50 pm »
IS THERE ANYTHING TO LEARN FROM UKRAINE?
 CHASE METCALF  NOVEMBER 30, 2023 

EDITOR’S NOTE: This is the first in a four-part series of articles on how national security professionals should (and should not) approach the fraught task of learning lessons from something as complex as war. We have assembled a team of sharp minds and pens in the business to apply their varying perspectives to the question opened by the Army War College’s Chase Metcalf, how do we think about learning lessons from war? It is a fitting end to 2023 and, unfortunately, will likely be essential in 2024 as well.

Engaging with these competing viewpoints can provide military professionals with insights to help avoid strategic surprise and prepare for the future.

Studying the Russo-Ukraine conflict is critical to understanding the changing character of warfare—or is it? Respected experts debate if and how the character of warfare is changing and what lessons we can draw from the Russo-Ukraine conflict.

Recent articles by William “Wilf” Owen and by the team of Katie Crombe and John Nagl are illustrative. Writing in British Army Review, Owen takes a somewhat contrarian view, arguing that drawing lessons from incomplete information about the ongoing Russo-Ukraine conflict is problematic. Meanwhile, in Parameters, Crombe and Nagl say that the U.S. Army must “embrace the Russo-Ukraine conflict as an opportunity” to shape its education, training, and doctrine. Engaging with these competing viewpoints can provide military professionals with insights to help avoid strategic surprise and prepare for the future. But this must be done deliberately and with an open mind to avoid learning the wrong lessons from a conflict that is far from over.

Nothing New for Professionals

https://warroom.armywarcollege.edu/articles/learning-lessons-1/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: IS THERE ANYTHING TO LEARN FROM UKRAINE?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 06:33:19 pm »

Nothing New for Professionals

:bsflag:    There is always something new to be learned.   
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: IS THERE ANYTHING TO LEARN FROM UKRAINE?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 04:33:03 am »
Don't get tangled up in a land war in Asia...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis