Author Topic: EU lawmakers urge COP28 climate summit to take aim at fossil fuels  (Read 1456 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
EU lawmakers urge COP28 climate summit to take aim at fossil fuels
By Kate Abnett
November 21, 20239:16 AM ESTUpdated 8 days ago

BRUSSELS, Nov 21 (Reuters) - The European Parliament called on Tuesday for a global deal at the U.N. COP28 climate summit to phase out fossil fuels, aiming to add pressure on countries to tackle CO2-emitting oil and gas.

The push by European Union lawmakers comes before nearly 200 countries meet to discuss stronger climate change action at the COP28 conference in Dubai from Nov. 30 to Dec. 12.

The meeting should agree to "a tangible phase-out of fossil fuels as soon as possible, to keep 1.5°C within reach, including by halting all new investments in fossil fuel extraction," the EU Parliament said in a resolution.

The EU Parliament is not directly involved in COP28 negotiations, but sends a delegation to meet other countries' representatives and negotiates the EU's domestic climate policies that ensure it keeps the pledges made at COP meetings.

Countries agreed under the 2015 Paris Agreement to take action to stop the planet becoming more than 1.5 degrees Celsius hotter than in preindustrial times, a limit that if breached would unleash far more disastrous extreme weather.

https://www.reuters.com/sustainability/climate-energy/eu-lawmakers-urge-cop28-climate-summit-take-aim-fossil-fuels-2023-11-21/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: EU lawmakers urge COP28 climate summit to take aim at fossil fuels
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 01:43:18 pm »
COP28: China and India Reject Climate Loss and Damage Demands
8 hours ago Eric Worrall 31 Comments
Essay by Eric Worrall

Everyone agrees the USA should be looted, but China and India want to be recipients of funding, not contributors.

COP28: Should India and China receive or pay climate damage fund?

By Navin Singh Khadka
Environment correspondent, BBC World Service

China is the top emitter of greenhouse gases in the world and India comes at number three.

The two countries also have major economies, so then why is there a disagreement over whether they should contribute to a fund to tackle the damage caused by climate change?

What is the loss and damage fund?

The fund aims to provide financial assistance to poorer nations that have been hit by climate-related disasters – for example, communities displaced by floods or rising sea levels – so that they can rebuild and be rehabilitated.

Who should pay for it?

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/12/04/cop28-china-and-india-reject-climate-loss-and-damage-demands/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 12:56:42 pm »
COP28 panel blames Israel and the U.S. for Palestinian “genocide”
December 7th, 2023|36 Comments
Dubai, UAE

“War is Hell,” said retired Union General William Tecumseh Sherman, or something close enough, back in 1880, fifteen years following his side’s victory in the American Civil War.

Wars kill people, and, let’s stipulate, it also is bad for air quality, which hardly compares to human casualties from the battlefield and collateral damage. Climate change dogma, as espoused by U.S. climate envoy, John Kerry, admonished that war worsens the effect of climate change.

In keeping with this claim of the relationship between war and climate, such as it is, a panel at COP28 entitled Grassroots Feminist Perspectives on Demilitarization for Climate Justice perhaps would provide substance to the issue. Instead, climate change was mentioned only as an afterthought, and a replacement panel of pro-Palestinian groups aired their grievances against Israel and the United States. It was not restrained.

https://www.cfact.org/2023/12/07/cop28-panel-blames-israel-and-the-u-s-for-palestinian-genocide/
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 12:58:52 pm »
This alone is enough to negate any "outcomes" from this farce. :osama:
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 12:24:08 pm »
“COP28’s Fossil Fuel Phaseout: A Comedy of Errors”
2 hours ago Charles Rotter 22 Comments
Climate Summit’s U-Turn – From Heroic Vows to Muffled Whispers

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/12/11/fossil-fuel-phaseout-dropped-cop28-00131066
In a performance worthy of the finest comedians, the COP28 climate summit has managed to turn its bold proclamation of ending fossil fuels into a farcical retreat. Politico’s recent article, dated December 11, 2023, paints a vivid picture of this tragicomic scene.

Dramatic U-Turn in the Land of Oil

The article begins with a dramatic setting: the oil-rich United Arab Emirates, where the once-loud calls for a fossil fuel phaseout have been reduced to mere whispers of ‘reducing’ them. This grandiose plan, initially supported by environmental groups and certain nations, has fizzled out, much to the chagrin of activists and self-proclaimed environmental saviors. As Politico puts it,

“The prospect of a deal to end fossil fuels faded…when organizers…released a draft proposal that merely suggested reducing them instead.”

A Chorus of Discontent

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/12/12/cop28s-fossil-fuel-phaseout-a-comedy-of-errors/
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 11:53:59 am »
Eliminate fossil fuels for the kids’ future! Climate activist: ‘COP28, the clock’s ticking’ – ‘Phase out fossil fuels? Yes, please’
By Marc Morano
December 13, 2023
10:50 am

Dr. Mustafa Santiago Ali – @EJinAction
“Now or Never: A Wake-Up Call at the Eleventh Hour of #COP28”
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, esteemed procrastinators of planet Earth, welcome to the grand finale of COP28! What a show it’s been, right? Imagine this: we’re here, at the edge of making history, deciding whether to phase out fossil fuels or just… phase them down a bit. Ah, the thrill of indecision!

Let’s paint a picture: The planet is simmering like a pot left on the stove, hitting temperatures hotter than my mixtape – and that’s saying something. And yet, here we are, debating whether to turn down the heat or just remove one log from the fire. Spoiler alert: neither option stops the pot from boiling over!

Now, I know what you’re thinking. “But wait, if we phase out fossil fuels too quickly, what about the economy?” Sure, because when your house is on fire, the first thing you think about is, “But will the value of my curtains go down?” Priorities, people!

https://www.climatedepot.com/2023/12/13/climate-activist-cop28-the-clocks-ticking-phase-out-fossil-fuels-yes-please/
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 12:04:57 pm »
I well remember 60-70 years ago how filthy the air was with factory ash.  You could go through River Rouge, Mi. and have to wash your car to get the soot off.  The Cuyahoga River in Cleveland caught fire.   Lake Erie was virtually dead.  The smell of factories was heavy in the air.  But St. Algore had not yet discovered global goring.  Now the air is almost pristine in comparison.  So pristine the earth is about to "burn up" and little monsters like Greta Thunberg who have no idea how bad it was go on rampages over the supposed filth.  Politicians get elected on the promise to clean it up, lawyers make fortunes, products to clean it up are everywhere, the government wants to control all aspects of our lives claiming it is for our own good, and the middle class continues to be squeezed by the lies.  Oh, for the good old days of filthy air when we were free.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 12:15:28 pm »
COP28 — one big global Psy-op to screw more money out of a few patsies
Fantasy doves, Airship, world.
Image by Willgard Krause from Pixabay

By Jo Nova

What did I say? After the near collapse of climate talks, global leaders “rescued” COP28 at the last minute, scoring top marks in Climate Bingo: the talks are “historic“, “landmark“, “unprecedented” and use the actual phrase “transition away from fossil fuels”  for the first time ever.  Be still my beating heart.

A hundred billionaires met with 70,000 groupies, using millions of dollars mostly taken from other people, and have decided they need to do it all again.

The point of these meetings is to issue more press releases, reward the faithful underlings, arrange golden handshakes behind the scenes, and transfer billions of dollars from the riff raff to the Private-Jet-Class. This glorious goal is achieved when the Grand UN Performance of vague non-binding Hopium is used to fool investors and voters in domestic theatres.

https://joannenova.com.au/2023/12/cop28-one-big-global-psy-op-to-screw-more-money-out-of-a-few-patsies/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=cop28-one-big-global-psy-op-to-screw-more-money-out-of-a-few-patsies
Thomas Jefferson

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2023, 01:43:28 pm »
Kids future?

Elimination of fossil fuels will kill billions from our inability to effectively feed the world, or provide heat.    Enviro-whackos never think things through.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2023, 11:06:46 pm »
Here's a picture of the Lackawanna yards in Scranton, PA, in 1900.
Look at the sky -- filled with smoke and steam.

BUT... that smoke represented... prosperity.
What happened to Scranton when the coal ran out, and the industries left?
At least the skies grew clear...

https://www.shorpy.com/node/8444?size=_original#caption
(sorry, I could not link the image from Shorpy to display here, but the URL above will take you there...)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 11:08:05 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2023, 11:30:08 am »
COP 28: The radicals lose again
December 14th, 2023

As I pointed out several years ago, the climate alarmists have a civil war going on between radicals and moderates. Radical leader Greta Thunberg’s famous “How dare you” was addressed to moderate COP negotiators, not skeptics.

In recent years, every COP had been dominated by an angry motion from the radicals, which was ultimately defeated in the final hours. Ironically these noisy motions tend actually to inhibit progress on the big green agenda, so I welcome them.

COP 28 was no different. The basic idea was to finally mention fossil fuels in the final statement after 27 COPS did not  so. Makes sense, given that burning fossil fuels are the supposed reason for the climate alarm.

https://www.cfact.org/2023/12/14/cop-28-the-radicals-lose-again/
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 11:31:02 am by rangerrebew »
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2023, 11:34:11 am »
“Many Will Die”: Climate Scientists Respond to COP28 Fiasco
14 hours ago Eric Worrall 
Essay by Eric Worrall

The usual wailing and wild statements we’ve come to expect in the wake of the annual COP failure.

‘Weak tea’: Climate scientists push back against COP28 cheer

Washington (AFP) – A UN climate deal that approved a call to transition away from fossil fuels has been hailed as a major milestone and a cause for at least cautious optimism.

Issued on: 14/12/2023 – 02:41

Michael Mann … “The agreement to ‘transition away from fossil fuels’ was weak tea at best,” he told AFP. “It’s like promising your doctor that you will ‘transition away from donuts’ after being diagnosed with diabetes. The lack of an agreement to phase out fossil fuels was devastating.”

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/12/14/many-will-die-climate-scientists-respond-to-cop28-fiasco/
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2023, 11:35:20 am »
I would guess most countries which voted for phasing out fossil fuels were virtue signaling and nothing more. :yowsa:
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2023, 01:37:50 pm »
Many will die, yes in countries that eliminate fossil fuels for heating and cooking many will die, they will freeze to death in the winter when there is no heat because the heat pumps they are force to transition to either perform very poorly in the extreme cold or there is no electricity to run them.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2023, 01:50:25 pm »
As the climate cult loses the argument further and further, they get more shrill
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2023, 02:02:31 pm »
Many will die, yes in countries that eliminate fossil fuels for heating and cooking many will die, they will freeze to death in the winter when there is no heat because the heat pumps they are force to transition to either perform very poorly in the extreme cold or there is no electricity to run them.

Want to really know what is scary?  The percentage of envirowhackos who don't understand that the wind / solar debacle won't generate the 69Kv needed for the operation of an electircal transmission grid. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2023, 10:46:31 pm »
Want to really know what is scary?  The percentage of envirowhackos who don't understand that the wind / solar debacle won't generate the 69Kv needed for the operation of an electircal transmission grid.
But...but...how can that be, it's Greeeeeeeeen 8888crybaby

Offline libertybele

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2023, 10:49:05 pm »
I would guess most countries which voted for phasing out fossil fuels were virtue signaling and nothing more. :yowsa:

Joe's is all in.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2023, 12:36:18 pm »
COP28: One big global psy-op to screw more money out of a few patsies
December 15th, 2023

What did I say? After the near collapse of climate talks, global leaders “rescued” COP28 at the last minute, scoring top marks in Climate Bingo: the talks are “historic“, “landmark“, “unprecedented,” and use the actual phrase “transition away from fossil fuels”  for the first time ever.  Be still my beating heart.

A hundred billionaires met with 70,000 groupies, using millions of dollars mostly taken from other people, and have decided they need to do it all again.

The point of these meetings is to issue more press releases, reward the faithful underlings, arrange golden handshakes behind the scenes, and transfer billions of dollars from the riff-raff to the Private-Jet Class. This glorious goal is achieved when the Grand UN Performance of vague, non-binding Hopium is used to fool investors and voters in domestic theatres.

And so it comes to pass that all nations have finally agreed to do what they were doing anyway. But UN-speak translates the nothingness into hyperbole:

“The agreement marks “the beginning of the end of fossil fuels” — UNFCCC

https://www.cfact.org/2023/12/15/cop28-onee-big-global-psy-op-to-screw-more-money-out-of-a-few-patsies/
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2023, 12:38:18 pm »
a few patsies

Primarily the US with some help from the European nations. ****slapping
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2023, 11:25:46 am »
WRITTEN BY EDITORIAL BOARD ON DEC 14, 2023. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

The Phony Climate Promises Of COP28

The COP28 climate confab in Dubai didn’t end with white smoke on Wednesday, but Biden climate envoy John Kerry is nonetheless singing hallelujah after nearly 200 countries agreed to “transition” from fossil fuels.

The point of the deal is to preserve the West’s illusion that its climate policies are accomplishing something. [emphasis, links added]

China and oil-producing countries refused to sign an agreement committing to “phase out” fossil fuels.

But Mr. Kerry and European leaders insisted that governments at the United Nations summit demonstrate a common purpose to reduce CO2 emissions.

The deal they agreed to has all the force and idealism of the 1928 Kellogg-Briand Pact that outlawed war.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/the-phony-climate-promises-of-cop28/
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2023, 05:12:07 pm »
Kids future?

Elimination of fossil fuels will kill billions from our inability to effectively feed the world, or provide heat.    Enviro-whackos never think things through.
Are you sure about that? Seems to me that the removal of billions from the Earth has been their goal for decades, at least ever since that numbnutz Ehrlich wrote his fantasy The Population Bomb that was lapped up by the left as gospel.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2023, 05:19:10 pm »
Are you sure about that? Seems to me that the removal of billions from the Earth has been their goal for decades, at least ever since that numbnutz Ehrlich wrote his fantasy The Population Bomb that was lapped up by the left as gospel.

I put the enviro-whackos into two camps.....   

(1) One that has ulterior socialist (communist) motives for 3rd world wealth distribution. 2- 5%
(2) The truly duped and stupid who have been fooled into the narrative.  95-98%

My comments were aligned toward the latter.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2023, 06:11:55 pm »
I put the enviro-whackos into two camps.....   

(1) One that has ulterior socialist (communist) motives for 3rd world wealth distribution. 2- 5%
(2) The truly duped and stupid who have been fooled into the narrative.  95-98%

My comments were aligned toward the latter.
I have a feeling there is a fair percentage in your larger group that has bought into the we need to eliminate people to save Mother Earth, and they are just fine with it because they consider themselves the enlightened who will not be included in the elimination.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2023, 06:44:16 pm »
I have a feeling there is a fair percentage in your larger group that has bought into the we need to eliminate people to save Mother Earth, and they are just fine with it because they consider themselves the enlightened who will not be included in the elimination.

My estimates are an educated guess.  I sure hope more than 2-5% aren't  endorsing purposeful eliminatin of life.  If it is, we are racing toward rock bottom of the human spirit.

If that is enlightment, woe be us